Caving Cameramen

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
....and women of course. 

Whose good at underground filming to the extent that they could work with production outfits like the BBC.  Gavin Newman was the only one who sprang instantly to mind.  Any others?

NewStuff

There's probably a few that are good enough - But they don't get chance to work with the nice kit or have the backup, so they don't know it. I'm not naming names, but there's a couple of people out there. that nail the technical aspects of it, and are let down by kit, budget or end production constraints.

footleg

Curiously vague question. I'm pretty sure the quality Paul Taylor and I are bringing back from Otter Hole is up there with professional material, but without much experience of filming to a professional brief who knows? I'm not the one to judge how good people think my work is. Plus I'm fully booked for the Otter Hole project until we are done. ;)

Thrupeman

I would highly recommend adventure cameraman Keith Partridge (http://adventurecamera.co.uk/) who has done loads of high altitude filming and not a little cave work.  Often partnered with Steve Backshall for BBC (an others) projects. Top guy!

Clive North

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Many thanks for the suggestions and PMs.  I've passed them on.

Whilst I know there are many cavers capable of producing fantastic footage underground I expect there is more to it when contracted by a professional production company.  The underground becomes a place of work for a start.  So presumably there is quite a difference between the capable 'amateur' and the 'professional' who does this for a living.  There doesn't seem to be as much dedicated to caving on TV since Sid Perou hung up his lenses.

Moorcroft12

I wouldn't mind chucking my hat into the ring on this one if nobody minds    ;)

I've been shooting professionally for a while now and my stuff can be found at www.jamesmoorcroft.com

It's been a loooooong while since I filmed any caving though.  But I've got an old video I shot for uni on youtube; https://youtu.be/BJQavFATFPw

The quality has gone up from this video obviously, but it's a nice starting point.

James

Caver Keith

This is one of my most favourite ever caving films.

Oh, and I have been known to make one or two caving fillums myself.