Caving Photography

retrika7

:) Hiya folks.

Only a week to go on first trip.

I'm a very keen photographer. I do have waterproof & shockproof camera. Its a genius machine. No protection needed at all. Thank God.

The deepest and darkest I've ever shot was...tower of London crypts. I was very lucky to do this indeed. It had no lighting at all. Only at the works entrance. Helmets and lamps order of the day.

Any of you guyz into caving photography ?

Tommy

Whilst tough cameras are great for general purpose underground snaps and more...be wary of scratching the lens, it's easily done when you keep it in a gritty oversuit pocket or bouncing round in a Daren Drum with some bolts!

I say this because I gouged a chunk out of mine on it's first trip, lesson learnt.

AWW

Topimo said:
Whilst tough cameras are great for general purpose underground snaps and more...be wary of scratching the lens, it's easily done when you keep it in a gritty oversuit pocket or bouncing round in a Daren Drum with some bolts!

I say this because I gouged a chunk out of mine on it's first trip, lesson learnt.

I'll second that. I now keep mine in a neoprene case in my inner oversuit pocket. However, I think the biggest danger to the lens is from wiping it with a contaminated cloth or finger and my TG-4 now sports a few scratches that I think will need some attention from Olympus.

mudman

Topimo said:
AWW said:
However, I think the biggest danger to the lens is from wiping it with a contaminated cloth...

Yep, a gritty wet buff did mine in!

Sounds like a common problem.
I now carry small squares of kitchen roll in a resealable bag. A quick squirt of water or swirl in a stream then dry with a bit of kitchen towel.