White Scar

ianball11

We've been offered the chance of a trip into White Scar but is the entrance lake as long as people say it is? I don't remember it being that long but I was a younger, keaner, better swimmer in those days.
We've possibly two relative beginners going in, don't want to cause any hassle so though I'd pop the question?!
Ian B.

T

tubby two

Good three years since i went, it was the middle of winter and absolutley bloody freezing :uhoh: . I remember being pretty hungover when i went in and becoming rapidly sober. It wasnt too long, with bits of tat to pull yourself alon on Maybe only 10 to 20m. Some king soul may well read NC2 and tell you properly. anyway, there were a few novices too and they all survived to tell the tale. i think.
Not too bad a cave afterwards, long rift/stream passage i remember, and some nice part submerged boulders to get through.

tt.

mudmonkey

Hmmm. I tried to book that for last summer only to be told that someone had been monkeying with drainage on the moor and there was no caver access for now. Does this mean it's sorted again? If so I may have to have a look, it sounds like a good trip!

dunc

No length given in NC2 for First Lake but Long Stop Lake is 61m.
I reckon it would be chilly in an under/over combo - did have trip in there when someone just had fleece and by the time we reached the wet bit before before the sump he looked a tad chilly! :roll:

I've usually managed to find enough hand holds and the like to drag myself along rather than trying to swim the lake.

G

George North

We too got told that somebody had pissed around with the drainage, when we tried to book it about a year ago. I noticed that there's a fairly recent report of a trip on the York Uni website though, so it's clearly open to cavers again.

Anyway enjoy,

George.

ianball11

Cheers guys, if you are interested we are tagging onto a Manchester trip, if you give them a bell they may invite you along too. We were discussing it at the forum last weekend.
Ian B.

Rachel

I heard that the two pots by the track above Crina Bottom (where the White Scar water used to sink) have been recently filled in and the water rerouted, although I don't know where to. It's part of a strategy to stop the water pouring out across the road and into the cellars of the houses up on Storr's common - the water board have been doing some work up there lately, but seem to have finished now. Does anybody know what's likely to happen to the hydrology up there now?

C

Cave Ferret

Rachel said:
I heard that the two pots by the track above Crina Bottom (where the White Scar water used to sink) have been recently filled in and the water rerouted, although I don't know where to. It's part of a strategy to stop the water pouring out across the road and into the cellars of the houses up on Storr's common - the water board have been doing some work up there lately, but seem to have finished now. Does anybody know what's likely to happen to the hydrology up there now?

The water used to sink in Greenwood Pots, but now flows straight on down to Jenkin Beck, resulting in increased water levels and occasional flooding behind Daleswear.

The water was allegedly diverted in an attempt to stop it reaching the quarry at Beezley. So make up your own theories as to who was responsible. The water that crosses the road at Storrs comes from Bean Pot which drains from Dowlass Moss, not White Scar. This water still crosses the road when Bean Pot fills up, and is causing subsidence of the road as it washes out aggregate from around the road drain which was cleverly put there to 'solve' the problem of the flooding of the road. The end result, however, is that the problem is now worse as the drain sends the water back into Bean Pot, which continues to back up and eventually forces the water out of a nice new hole that is appearing at the side of the road!

As an interesting aside, White Scar Caves have also benefited from the blocking of Greenwood Pots as the showcave doesn't flood as often, hmm...

Cave Ferret

D

diggerdog adam

Cave ferret, Sounds like you have done your home work on that place :jedi: