Recommend me some kneepads.

I bought some 7mm neoprene jobs from Starless and they were very good for a while. Then the outer fabric was breached and that was pretty much the end of them. They did fit very well indeed. I'd rather not muck about with adjustable straps.

Has anyone got experience of the kevlar ones, or the plasticy ones. I forget what the stuff's called.

Being a huge gorilla, I spend more time on my knees than everyone else and the sheer force causes them to be given 10/10ths brutal treatment.

I wouldn't mind even modifying a standard set, but with what?

Over to you.  (y)

TheBitterEnd

Watch out for the new velcro on the Warmbac ones, I bought a pair of the Warmbac kevlar jobs, very expensive and the new velcro is rubbish. The old ones had two strips of "hooks" that sandwiched a double-sided strip of "loops" and never came undone. The new ones have a stuff that combines the hooks and loops on a single strip and sticks to itself, so they are always tangled and stuck when you get them out of the bag but then fall off as soon as they see a crawl. Still I imagine they will last forever as they don't stay in place long enough to wear out.

Mark Wright

I usually get some funny looks when I put my neoprene knee pads on underneath my oversuit but I've never worn out my oversuit knees and managed to get 8 years of use out of my last pair of knee pads. The old ones had developed a flat bit which would have been relatively easy to mend if I could have been bothered.

I use mine for snowboarding as they are great for keeping my knees warm when I'm kneeling down waiting for the skiers to catch up.

Mark

topcat

TheBitterEnd said:
Watch out for the new velcro on the Warmbac ones, I bought a pair of the Warmbac kevlar jobs, very expensive and the new velcro is rubbish. The old ones had two strips of "hooks" that sandwiched a double-sided strip of "loops" and never came undone. The new ones have a stuff that combines the hooks and loops on a single strip and sticks to itself, so they are always tangled and stuck when you get them out of the bag but then fall off as soon as they see a crawl. Still I imagine they will last forever as they don't stay in place long enough to wear out.

Isn't it strange how we all differ?  My experience has been the exact opposte to the above!

I got Warmbac to make me some custom pads, extra long: superb.

Madness

Mark Wright said:
I use mine for snowboarding as they are great for keeping my knees warm when I'm kneeling down waiting for the skiers to catch up.

Have you got an arse pad for when you're sitting down in the centre of the narrowest section of piste? ;)

JasonC

As Mark says, you might want to consider wearing something like this http://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Neoprene-Knee-Support-Large/p/852857 next to the skin.

I actually got some for even less than this at Home Bargains (yeah, big spender, I know...) which are made from several pieces so are more 'shaped'.  The advantage is that they never move, the disadvantage is that you'll probably still want an external kneepad to protect your oversuit - which then means your knees bend rather less easily!

pwhole

My undersuit has pockets in the knees, so I have a square of 4mm neoprene permanently in those, and Nailers kneepads over the top. They're quite bulky, but grip wet rock, and are a dream for crawling over sharp rocks. I've got a pair of the black miner's kneepads, but never used them yet - the straps look a bit thin and painful, but I guess I should give them a try. I recently read a JW Puttrell newspaper account from 1904 or something (probably Sheffield Telegraph), where he remarked after a trip to the downstream sumps in Bagshawe that he would have 'given good money for a pair of stout kneepads' - the very same trip is what convinced me to get the Nailers ;)

tamarmole

Over the Hill said:
If you can find the ones that miners had issued from the Coal Board still get them. you will never, ever wear them out.

ex NCB Knee pads are great if all you want to do is crawl in them.  If at any stage you want to walk they are a real pain as they will dig in to your leg and will rub.

Les W

Those ex-military Tactical kneepads I linked to are fine for walking in, but have a semi hard surface for crawling on with some padding behind.
They fasten with wide elastic strips ans velcro but don't cut in. Quite comfortable and protect you when you need them to.
The only downside is they sometimes rotate away from where you need them, but all knee pads do that...

pwhole

I like them!

I forgot to mention I always wear soccer shin-pads underground - I got some stick for this at first, but not any more, and they've saved my legs from injury so many times I've lost count. Once would have been a definite breakage from a fast-rolling rock in Speedwell (scud will vouch for this, as he dislodged it!), but it just bounced off, and didn't even hurt. They're light, cheap, unobtrusive and fill up some extra space in my welly, so less for water!

pete_the_caver

Two years ago my left patella tendon ruptured while visiting the Gotte du Malaval.  Following my surgery, I started using two layers of Warmbac knee pad on the bad knee.  I found this too restrictive so went a bought some gel-filled knee pads from Screwfix. Although these are bulky and can be a nuisance when climbing and particularly thrutching, generally I've found them to be very good. They live by the front door and get used daily, around the house, farm, caving and especially canoeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk