Whale vertebrae in cave

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this amazing shot on facebook and just had to share on here.  The comment by Neil Silverwood with the photo was:

A fossilised whale vertebrae bridges a cave passage. From Caves: Exploring New Zealand's Subterranean Wilderness available at -http://www.pottonandburton.co.nz/store/caves ? with Lauren Kelley.

wl

ZombieCake

If it's not photoshopped (there's a suspicious looking very flat bit on the bottom right bit of the backbone where it contacts the rock if you zoom in, and some of the lower rim lights look odd and inconsistent, but am more than happy to eat humble pie (I don't normally have a hat) if not) then it is indeed a storming shot.
Nevertheless as an image 'tis nice.

ZombieCake

One good flood with a bit of debris would wash it away, look at the surrounding rock and the erosion, and dodgy focus.  ??? Fake ??? Still happy to be corrected if wrong.

Amy

It's not fake. It's been ID'd by scientists and was part of research for the newest book on New Zealand caves. There are whale fossils in other nearish caves this is just really impressive how it is.

Roperat

Yep. As an nz caver, whale remains aren't uncommon in our limestone. I believe this one is in the south island, but where I have seen whale bone in the north island, the limestone is 35-45 million years old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Am glad it's true.  Would love to see the above vertebrae.

Aren't caves amazing places....

mrodoc

I managed to buy the book and it looks stunning :). I had to buy it as apparently the cost of shipping them is probhibitive. Nearly put me over the luggage limits so there weren't that many for sale at the UIS congress. It is also bang up to date.