Short trips off the beaten track in the Dales?

JoW

Can anyone suggest any short ish trips (around 2h or so) around the central dales (Chapel le Dale /Kingsdale /Ribblesdale sorts of areas) with a bit of interest, we've done the obvious suspects and are after some other places to go for an entertaining evening bimble...

Franklin

I had a jolly evening bimble in Bruntscar Cave, above Chapel-le-dale, many years ago (mid-80s). We were welcomed by a fine old fellow at the farm who asked us to donate to the repair of St Leonard's church roof. He showed us where we could park and said we could change in the barn - the cave entrance was through the barn. Great evening's caving, unique context and off the beaten track - but this was long ago, I don't know what the access situation is now. Perhaps worth a trip to find out?

nobrotson

Knacker Trapper is a nice short trip, refreshing and exciting. Washfold is OK as well. Not sure I would describe them as 'bimbles' but they're no quaking or broken finger. Black Reef cave is quite cool. If you are willing to go a bit further afield then there are plenty of short interesting trips to do in Dentdale and Barbondale, see new NC by Sma and Beardy.

A trip into the entrance series of Magnetometer, or a quick look in FOUL Pot on Fountains Fell is also to be recommended, along with a trip around Skirfare Inlet and Langstrothdale Chase in Langcliffe. These caves are a bit of a walk but well worth it. If walking back from them in the dark and without good vis I highly recommend map/compass and/or GPS.

Ian Ball

I'm going to mention Daimler hole, but I've not been might be crud,

Lower Sunset is entertaining and with a fair walk to take up half your 2 hours!

Grey Wife Hole maybe?

JasonC

Ian Ball said:
Lower Sunset is entertaining and with a fair walk to take up half your 2 hours!

That very much depends on your idea of entertainment!  I'm not fat, but found it on the very limit of what I could get through.

If you want an actual bimble rather than Nob's rather athletic recommendations, Roger Kirk at Ribblehead is a bit of fun with several entrances.
If Horton is within your definition of 'Central Dales', Haytime Hole might be new to you, easily accomplished within 2 hours underground.  Some climbs which look scary at first, but are not too hard (ie I can do them).

kay

Daimler can be combined with the adjacent Homeshaw. Both entrances have been cleared out by CNCC volunteers for a much pleasanter trip. Ivescar and Bruntscar are nearby, for those who want to make a day of it. Gatekirk (as featured on the cover of Northern Caves) is not too far away. But they're a bit of a walk from the road.

Roger Kirk is close to Gunnerfleet (Upper and Lower). Lower Gunnerfleet is another one cleared out by CNCC vols, so you no longer have to crawl through piles of rubbish and slime covered passages to reach the "Sheepskull chamber" and the decorated further reaches.

Lower Sunset isn't all crawling - where the three passages meet, you can kneel.

Fulk

Ibbeth peril Cave, Dent (but watch the weather!); Short Gill Cave, Barbondale, is a nice little cave, with a somewhat unprepossessing entrace that leads to a nice streamway.