Camping in the forest

Burt

I've been asked by a client to find a suitable site for a training camp for student teachers.  Ideally, it needs to be near Monmouth, have space for about 120 people, a meeting room, and space nearby for team based activities.

I have used the Speech house in the past, but this is much too posh for the client's requirements.

Any help?

caving_fox

Beeches farm? (at the end of Miss Grace's Lane)

It certainly fits the requirement for 120 people to camp and have team based activity space nearby. 'Near' to Monmouth might depoend on your definition of near, and it doesn't have a meeting room - although you could put up a marquee.

Ship-badger

Your best bet is probably Christchurch Campsite, which is run by Forest Holidays. There is a large pavilion on the site, which certainly used to be available for groups to hire; I have used it myself on occasion.  They might be a bit on the pricey side, but the facilities are very good. Very close to Symonds Yat too; and monmouth only a short drive away.
Biblins is only available to youth groups with their leaders, so if your group is leaders only it is not for you. Biblins is also a very long walk to the nearest pub, so might not suit a group who wanted to go out for a pie and a pint.
Monmouth Canoe Hire have there own camping field just outside Monmouth. The owners are Graham and Sue Symonds; they are very friendly, and might well be able to organise a room suitable for meetings nearby.
Hope this is useful.

Rhys

Ship-Badger mentioned Christchurch and crikeymal mentioned Bracelands. I think they might be one and the same; but I'm willing to be corrected!

Rhys

Ship-badger

They are different sites, but run by the same company. Youth groups are only allowed on Bracelands AFAIAA, and I think you have to be staying on the Christchurch site to be able to make use of the Pavilion. There used to be a third site, Woodlands, but this has now been used for a luxury log-cabin development.
I lived in a small caravan on the Bracelands site for a number of years - happy days!

NorthernRock

Another option check out Scout Site at Botany Bay, Tintern: www.gwentscouts.org.uk/pdf/info.pdf on A466 halfway between Chepstow & Monmouth.
Plus worth contacting Graeme & Sue Wardle at Biblins as have seen family groups on-site and may take a group of student teachers. Can book use of Burrow as a meeting room, or main Biblins Bunkhouse.
Bit further away from Monmouth: Gloucestershire ACF have accomodation for 120 available in Cinderford which is available to hire when they are not using it. Check out their link: www.alternativevenues.org/wx/AlternativeVenuesDetails/tabid/414/View/167/Default.aspx

Slug

NorthernRock said:
Another option check out Scout Site at Botany Bay, Tintern: www.gwentscouts.org.uk/pdf/info.pdf on A466 halfway between Chepstow & Monmouth.
Plus worth contacting Graeme & Sue Wardle at Biblins as have seen family groups on-site and may take a group of student teachers. Can book use of Burrow as a meeting room, or main Biblins Bunkhouse.
Bit further away from Monmouth: Gloucestershire ACF have accomodation for 120 available in Cinderford which is available to hire when they are not using it. Check out their link: www.alternativevenues.org/wx/AlternativeVenuesDetails/tabid/414/View/167/Default.aspx

We used Yoxter Ranges near Cheddar for the CHECC forum last November, fantastic facilities, and the ACF were increadibly helpful. It seems that the MoD now has a policy of generating income/offset running costs by letting out places like this. True, facilities will vary between each individual location, but by and large they offer a great possable venue.