Spanish businessman sent to prison for cave damage

paul

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/13/spaniard-jailed-for-destroying-neolithic-cave-to-make-an-animal/

A Spanish businessman has been sentenced to two and half years in prison for the destruction of an archaeological site which experts say held the key to the secrets of human life in Neolithic Spain.

Victorino Alonso was found guilty of a ?crime against heritage? by ordering the use of mechanical diggers to widen a cave in the Pyrenees where humans had dwelt between 8,000BC and the Bronze Age.

The multimillionaire mine operator, known in Spain as ?the king of coal?, used the site as a shelter and feeding site for animals on the surrounding hunting estate, run by a company owned by Mr Alonso.

The destruction of the Chaves Cave in the region of Aragon led to the disappearance of carved bones, thousands of ceramic fragments, a 6,000-year-old burial site and examples of geometric art.

The businessman has said that he intends to appeal against the conviction, which, as well as the jail sentence, saw him hit with a fine of ?25.4 million (?22 million).

Alkapton

Where is the Spanish Inquisition when you need it.  They knew exactly the kind of treatment he needs  :spank: is only the start!

kay

According to Simon's link, he was unaware of the sediments, and he blamed the government of Aragon for leaving the cave in a state of neglect and not putting up signs. Any lessons for us? I wouldn't like to see signs everywhere, but does this suggest it's better to make everyone aware of the value of something, rather than keep it quiet in case of deliberate damage?

It seems to be an established principle that you get less vandalism in a site that appears to be cared for. But even this is not as simple as it seems -  one person's flower-rich meadow is another person's neglected grassland.

royfellows

Fair comment.

For what its worth I was totally unaware that Upper Dinas was a Scheduled Ancient Monument until CADW contacted me and told me so. There was no information on this included with the sale.
Not that I have any plans for the place other than preserving access for you all.

Simon Wilson

kay said:
According to Simon's link, he was unaware of the sediments, and he blamed the government of Aragon for leaving the cave in a state of neglect and not putting up signs.

And the judge rejected his petition - but it does appear that the government were at fault. Maybe an appeal and/or a civil case will follow.