Buying Books

alastairgott

I bought one last week somewhere on the internet, a thrilling tome full of cliffhangers, suspense and intrigue.

lead mining in Derbyshire- history, development and drainage. Vol 1 Castleton to the river wye. Why i bought it, i wont know, as i went up to yorkshire this weekend and did some "proper" caves instead.
Got some proper ribbing from a group we found on kingsdale, but still i guess the craven have to rib someone. Isn't there a song about the craven...?

RobinGriffiths

alastairgott said:
I bought one last week somewhere on the internet, a thrilling tome full of cliffhangers, suspense and intrigue.

...a tale of domestic servitude in the 18C, with some hot gypsies thrown in?

AR

alastairgott said:

lead mining in Derbyshire- history, development and drainage. Vol 1 Castleton to the river wye. Why i bought it, i wont know, as i went up to yorkshire this weekend and did some "proper" caves instead.

I'm not sure why you bought it either, given you could ask Phil and me  about mines and if we don't know, we'll phone Jim!. Does this mean you're going to try and acquire all four volumes?

alastairgott

dunno, I think it was chris heathcote's article which made me want to. http://pdmhs.com/docs/default-source/bulletins/bulletin-17-5/history-amp-gazetteer-of-lead-mines-in-bradwell-liberty-1216-1890---heathcote-bradwell.pdf

It was just littered with references to the 2007 work.
particularly on page 74 with relation to hydrology and soughs.

I was wading through looking for Earl (Hill) Rake as this supposedly is quite close to Bagshawe.

For laziness, what are the other 3 volumes?
It was spur of the moment purchase.

mikem

Vol. 4: South of the Via Gellia
3. Winster to The Via Gellia

2 is presumably inbetween...

Mike

alastairgott

I think Volumes 2-4 are probably pretty safe then :)

Vol 2 probably covers some of the Lathkill Catchment  then?
Guess it's from River wye to Winster.

mikem

This thread now makes no sense - since it was split from the Glitch one - especially as missing the opening post...

Mike

alastairgott

Hehe! I agree.

The advert was about books, then we went on to talk about books. I see no difference in the threads.

paul

The original thread was about an advert about selling books popping up mistakenly and quite rightly posted in "Forum Notices & Issues". Talking about books though hardly has anything to do with "Forum Notices & Issues"...  :)