'A Lifetime of Mountains' The Best of A. Harry Griffin

JB

Illness stopped play over the weekend and I wandered into Waterstones yesterday afternoon. Was very happy to see that The Guardian has published a collection of A. Harry Griffin's Country Diary columns titled 'A Lifetime of Mountains'. A. Harry Griffin was, as a young man, one of the Coniston Tigers, a climbing club instrumental in the development of many of the South Lakeland crags. After serving in the war, he returned to the Lake District to work as a journalist and spend time in his beloved mountains. Perhaps only Wainwright could claim to be equal to his knowledge of the mountains of the Lake District. However, Harry was a commited climber whilst Wainwright never set foot upon the face of a crag.

For 53 years Harry wrote the most fantastic fortnightly column for the Guardian depicting life in the Lake District. His interests were varied and just a quick flick through the book reveals Harry's musings on memorials to airmen, drystone walls, meetings with owls, orange peel on summits, climbing in the Tyrol and even potholing in the Dales. For me, he is at his best describing days out walking or climbing where his writing is truly inspirational. Have a look, either for yourself or for a Christmas present. I don't think that anyone who loves the Lake District could fail to enjoy it.

The book is described here and it's widely available

http://www.guardianbookshop.co.uk/BerteShopWeb/viewProduct.do?ISBN=1845131126

Brains

ME me I want one please Santa - reading what I could of his work as wee nip of a lad is one if the things that got me into this marlarky in the first place!