Local cave leader

AndyDodsworth

Hi guys
I wondered if you could help me out as I don't know where to start.
I am a Cub Scout leader and I love to go caving and have been caving for a while.
The thing is it would be good to get my level 1 local cave leader qualification so that I can help take the cub scouts on caving trips.
I have helped to run a caving trip a few months ago for the scouts and we got over 150 of them through long churns and I really enjoyed it helping them learn about the cave system.
Do I need to contact the bca to get my log book and start  doing trips into the few caves that are suitable for the cubs, long churns upper and lower to St pauls, runscar, thistle and great douk.
I hope this makes sense and it would be great if you can enlighten me into how I go about this.

Thanks in advance for any input

GT

Hi Andy,

Check out the BCAs website: http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=training:lcmla_scheme

All the details on the scheme are there as well as a few up and coming courses.

You do need to register with the scheme, get hold of a log book then get yourself on a 2 day training course, 3 days if you want to cover both caves and mines. All the info's in the handbook which you can download and work your way through at your leisure!!

PaulW

Hi Andy

your best bet is to contact your county caving team, or county caving assessor, the assessor will be able to tell you exactly what they are looking for to enable you to take youngsters underground. pm me your email address and I have some more info that i can send you of a future event that may be of use

Paul W
West sussex scout caving

paull

PaulW said:
Hi Andy

your best bet is to contact your county caving team, or county caving assessor, the assessor will be able to tell you exactly what they are looking for to enable you to take youngsters underground. pm me your email address and I have some more info that i can send you of a future event that may be of use

Paul W
West sussex scout caving

As above is the best course of action by far, scout association cave leaders are assessed on there levels of competence by NGB qualified cavers
Paull
West Lancashire scouts caving team 

Tangent_tracker

I can put you on to a member of our club (DCC)  who will be able to give you a lot of advice. He has just managed to get full scout access for the mines at Alderely for the first time in many years. I was added to the list of Alderley leaders last night so should be good to do scout trips before too long but Phil can tell you far more than me!
PM me if you would like me to pass on any details.

Jon

AndyDodsworth said:
I have helped to run a caving trip a few months ago for the scouts and we got over 150 of them through long churns
Don't mention this bit!