Quorin Kuila: a project cave in TAG

Amy

So I've put together videos, taken some photos, and ended up turning it into a blog post. I think the videos in particular you may like (at the end). I documented what we have dug and bolted and banged so far! Rather than just copy/paste I'll share the story here with the link:
http://sunguramy.com/blog/?p=444

Fulk

Nice work, Amy ? I love the neat trick with the hammer-drill setting. Are we to infer that the era of 'walking into' new stuff in your neck of the woods is at an end, and new cave will only be found by digging?

Good luck.

Amy

Fulk is correct, TAG is short for Tn Al Ga, between the three states (the caving region overlaps all of them) is almost 15,000 caves. A good deal of them "worthy" of visiting and not just little holes.

And naw you can still find open things ridge walking. This was already a cave here but it's location was promising. Either this area is too young of a system and kinda duds, or it is a huge multidrop. Since we have about 450ft of limestone under it (the hartselle sandstone is thin or non existent - there is none on the geological maps) that means we shouldn't have that break between the Bangor and Monteagle limestones. So there is tremendous depth potential. Should it still turn into that, it would be one of the most major finds for this area in a decade. Hence super worth digging some slosh out.

The way on is either under the bolder choke which no one will dig (it's suicide - extremely unstable) or there appears to be a canyon about 40 ft up (20 from that ledge we can get to) which while not inviting in and of itself and isn't trending the right direction, it could lead to a parallel dome which might be older and actually do something. But overall, this cave is just too young. The entrance sink is still collapsing in, even. Nothing is stable.

Kenilworth

Fulk said:
Are we to infer that the era of 'walking into' new stuff in your neck of the woods is at an end, and new cave will only be found by digging?

There remains immense opportunity for new, relatively easy discovery in TAG, as well as in the rest of US karst areas. Tennessee has recently been the site of several large and deep discoveries including some with huge entrances. I myself have not yet traveled to TN without finding virgin or previously unreported caves.