13 years old: too young to join a caving club?

anfieldman

Absolutely not. I think that as long as it is with the parents consent it's not a problem. In fact I think almost any age is ok. I draw the line at embryos though. Except if accompanied by one of the parents.

P

PsychoBilly

I had my 8th birthday party down a cave.

my dad took a carrot cake (to help us see in the dark) down to the bottom of Goyden in Yorkshire in the morning then took a few of my friends down when he got back up.

Hughie

cap 'n chris said:
Are youngster of 13 too young to join caving clubs on Mendip?

No. Speak to Razzerrip1 or Axbridgecaver. If they're keen, they're most welcome.

D

darkplaces

Nope, to see a youngster explore something and doing something with its parents is brilliant, to be encouraged but needs careful planning and management.

ditzy 24//7

any age for a child to start caving long as they are looked after carefully.

what would be the minimum age people think?

ditzy

Elaine

As far as I am aware, there is no lower age limit for insurance purposes, so it is just up to an individual club as to what age their members have to be before they can join.

However, am I right in thinking that any adult taking them caving has to be cleared under the child protection whatever it is that youth leaders etc have to have? and that this can only be avoided if the childs parents are present on the trip?

E

emgee

andymorgan said:
ditzy 24//7 said:
what would be the minimum age people think?
well they must be old enough to crawl at least  ;)

For a suitably easy cave a childcarrier works well. We decide to stop taking him caving about two months after conception though.

Cookie

Anne said:
However, am I right in thinking that any adult taking them caving has to be cleared under the child protection whatever it is that youth leaders etc have to have? and that this can only be avoided if the childs parents are present on the trip?

For voluntary groups like caving clubs the check is not mandatory, however you might think it prudent especially if there is regular contacts with children.

Peter Burgess

I think its a great idea, but would urge that the parents also get involved, after all, isn't it a good idea that the parents can experience exactly what they are allowing their children to do?

Bob Mehew

Peter Burgess said:
I think its a great idea, but would urge that the parents also get involved, after all, isn't it a good idea that the parents can experience exactly what they are allowing their children to do?

Yes there is no doubt that having a parent along aside is the best defence / protection from child protection issues (or a properly appointed person to act in place of the parent).  The problem realy starts if the under 18 comes along by them self.  Having said that, I recall one parent who did decide to go along and turned the trip into a 14 hour rescue, so the problem might not always be the under 18.

By the way similar laws apply to vulnerable adults.

Peter Burgess

Bob - the point you make is good, but my point was that for younger children for whom parental presence is not an embarrassment, getting involved in something together is a great way to achieve all sorts of lasting benefits for both them and the adults. And I think that doing so will reduce the amount of said embarrassment in later teen years. I hope so anyway.

Bob Mehew

Peter Burgess said:
but my point was that for younger children for whom parental presence is not an embarrassment, getting involved in something together is a great way to achieve all sorts of lasting benefits for both them and the adults.

Sorry, I did not get that point from what you wrote.  You identify another way to create interest in caving, that is providing trips for the parent and child combination which is one I don't recall being tapped into.  Well done!  One for Chris J to fold into his planning.

Peter Burgess

No Bob I didn't make it clear, but at the time I was only thinking it was good for the two to go together for their mutual benefit, and that taking pressure of responsibility away from the other adults to some extent is a major benefit for all.

ttxela

Bob Mehew said:
Peter Burgess said:
but my point was that for younger children for whom parental presence is not an embarrassment, getting involved in something together is a great way to achieve all sorts of lasting benefits for both them and the adults.

Sorry, I did not get that point from what you wrote.  You identify another way to create interest in caving, that is providing trips for the parent and child combination which is one I don't recall being tapped into.  Well done!  One for Chris J to fold into his planning.

As a novice myself it's quite difficult to find trips I can take my 8 year old on, more trips designed for chidren to come along to would be great!

Rachel

ttexla, I don't know where you're based, but if you're ever up in the dales, you're welcome to come on a trip with me and my daughter - she's 6 1/2 and has done about a dozen caving trips. Send me a PM if you and your lad are about and we'll sort something out.

Ellie

My 12 year old was real humpy when I sent her down the drainpipe in Goatchurch telling her that it was the way out! Other than that though, I have taken her on four trips now and she has had a good time. (Goatchurch x2, Ogof Clogwyn and Eglwys Faen)

Ellie