Mendip Cave Photography Competition 2018 Official Thread

chunky

39779944505_154fd892d5_c.jpg

Hi All,

This will be the official thread for the upcoming Mendip Cave Photography Competition. I will post regular updates on here as well as further news.

Competition updates etc can be found on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1660662300637665/

chunky

There will be a photographic workshop run during the upcoming cavefest event in the Mendips, hopefully a great opportunity for people to get some shots whilst having a fun and social weekends caving!

If anyone would like to attend this please register your interest on this thread.

Also there may be a possibility of running workshops in South Wales and/or The Dales.
I would be glad to hear from anyone for whom these locations may be of interest.

Mendip Cave Photography Competition and Exhibition Rules 2018
When and Where:
Last submission date is Sunday 20th May 2018 at Midnight.
Competition presentation is on Saturday 30th June 2018 at 17:30 at Gough?s Cave display room
Public vote is in person at Gough?s Cave, opens on Monday 4th June and closes at 17:00 on Saturday 30th June.

Eligibility.

The photos; prints; images are of the Mendip location only
Anyone may enter the competition.
There is no age limit of when the photo is taken
Winning entries from previous exhibitions will not be accepted.

Categories.
Beauty of caving
People in caving. 
The photographer will state which category their photo?s go into. (People can be in the Beauty of Caving photos)

Judging
The winner of 2017 will be one of the judges in 2018.
The judges can enter work to be viewed but not to be included in the competition.
The judging will be on the prints.
Judging will be by a panel whose decisions are final.
There will be also be a public vote by ballot paper at the venue for a separate prize

Prints for the Competition:
Maximum of 5 (five) prints per entrant.
For the competition the prints are to be A4 size maximum.
They will be displayed with a white border.
Once the competition is over then the prints for the display can be any size.
The photographer will state which category their photo?s go into. (People can be in the Beauty of Caving photos)
Each print or image will be submitted with the full name of the entrant, title of the image and category to be entered into.
For the competition they will be displayed with the number and category only.

How to submit Print or Image
Digital images are to be emailed to Peter Glanvill who can be initially contacted via Facebook
Each print or image will be submitted with the full name of the entrant, title of the image and category to be entered into.
For the competition they will be displayed with the number and category only.
The sponsor DH James Ltd Photographic Suppliers of Wells has offered to print and mount at a discount should entrants wish to avail themselves of the service.

Copyright & Reproduction.
The copyright of all entries will remain with the authors.
Entries may be retained beyond the period of exhibition for the purpose of developing a permanent rolling exhibition of prints of Mendip caves with the permission of the authors.
Individual authors will be credited.
No rights will be conceded to sponsors or other parties without permission of the entrants, and entrants will be free to set terms for any such use.

Loss, Damage & Insurance.
Every care will be taken of the entries, but the organisers cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss. The organisers will not be insuring the photographs and, if required, entrants should make their own arrangements.

The Old Ruminator

I am assuming that the exhibition will run a while. Could the organisers give some thought to promoting caving as a sport/hobby ? Contact details etc etc.

Laurie

Please can the entries be left on dispaly for a longer time?
We're not all in Mendip every couple of weeks.

The Old Ruminator

I think that is the idea Laurie. There should be lots of Summer visitors to Cheddar Gorge so the Exhibition will be seen by a lot more folk than it ever was at Wells Museum with restricted parking and sometimes unpredictable hours. Perhaps there is too much emphasis on the word " Competition" . ( as per thread header ). That purely stated might put entrants off. I shall put in 5 without the hope of a rosette or gold cup as I hope other less " professional " cave photographers will do. Well done on the two categories organisers. We can have a bit of fun with " People in Caving ". The old TG2 will be firing away between now and then. ( beware ).

chunky

The Old Ruminator said:
I shall put in 5 without the hope of a rosette or gold cup as I hope other less " professional " cave photographers will do.

Well as I am judging I shall not be winning any rosette or gold cup either, but will most certainly be entering 5 of my own just for the joy of getting the chance to show off some of my shots and you never know perhaps  even tempt a muggle underground  ;)

I certainly hope a LOT of other photographers will do the same this year.

ZombieCake

Hello, don't do Facebook soooo  a couple of questions: What size should the prints be?  Is there a max / min limit?  Does it have to be a digital print?

chunky

ZombieCake said:
Hello, don't do Facebook soooo  a couple of questions: What size should the prints be?  Is there a max / min limit?  Does it have to be a digital print?
I believe digital print is only required if using D H James service to print and mount.

Prints should be A4 size with a plain white border for display. Submitted with your prints should be your information and the category entered.

A total of 5 prints may be submitted per entrant.

Most of the information is on Judi's post above and hopefully Peter will offer other means of contacting him outside of Facebook for those who do not use it.

For now any questions on here I'll try to answer and anything I can't I'll try to find out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ZombieCake

Thanks, one final question: is hand tinting allowed?  Presumably it is as RAW, Photoshop and Lightroom and other computery devices are implicitly allowed as well.  OK, another final question: who would one post physical papery stuff to?

chunky

Have emailed to ask. Will post as soon as I get a reply.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

chunky

Hi all,

Peter has confirmed that forum users are most welcome to contact him on here, as mentioned his username is mrodoc

Also if people wish to post entries he has given the following address for this:

Chard. Gables, Touchstone Close, Chard, TA20 1QZ