Dan yr Ogof ? A trip report.

rhychydwr1

Dan yr Ogof ? A trip report.

The trip got off to a bad start.  My electric chair got stuck on a speed ramp at the entrance to the cave complex.  It was a pedestrian entrance, but I am not sure that it would slow down any fast runners.  I was not certain if our ticket was valid, as it only cost me ?6.00 on fleabay and was good for two adults and two children.  The usual price is ?12.00 for adults and ?7.00 for children. 

Once safely passed the ticket office we entered a concrete cave, just like a mine tunnel.  At the entrance to the cave there was a note saying ?Leave your wheelchairs here as there are some steep steps.?  Well that was a bummer.  So I got my wife on one side and my 6 year old grandson on the other and they dragged me though the cave.  The real con is that the first mile is flat enough for a wheelchair, but I had already left it at the entrance.

The stairs were no problem as there were two hand rails, one on each side.  The lighting was a bit sparse in places, so I was glad I remembered my emergency lighting.  Never have I been more glad to see daylight and a chair.

After a rest I was ready for my next adventure, Ogof Esgyrn.  The first obstacle was a steep 1 in 4 gradient.  Despite the combined efforts of wife and two grandchildren, the chair conk out half way up and the overload was tripped.  I was then forced to get out and walk.  Next was the Museum, with a flight of steps, so I gave this a miss and sent the team in for a reconnaissance and to report back.  On the following slopes I got 6 year old Wil to drive the wheelchair whilst I hung on the back.  Eventually we came to a long flight of steps leading to the cave.  At this point I gave up and went in search of a cafe.  The team were instructed to do the Bone Cave and Cathedral Cave and I would look at the video later.

The way down was quite exciting, flat out and no brakes.  I switched the motor off on the 1 in 4 and skidded all the way down, nearly ramming the railings at the end.  The slope to the cafe and toilets was too steep for my electric chair so I had to walk up.  There was one advantage.  If you go into the shop the back way and then go through the door which says ?No Entry? you can get into the Museum on one level.

In conclusion, I am glad I did not pay ?12.00 to get in.  By the way, the ticket allows one to go in again for half price anytime during the rest of the year.  PM me if you want it.  I will not be going again.