Artur Koslwski breaks Irish and English records diving.

Pitlamp

To my knowledge Artur hasn't yet joined the CDG although I did encourage him to become a member in the past.

This is a very impressive effort - well done to all concerned.

Given that this write up was in a national newspaper, and therefore not aimed at cavers, it has left me quite puzzled as to just what it is that Artur has achieved (thought I am in no doubt that it is extremely impressive!).

Please can someone in the know, or better at translation than me (Pitlamp?) explain just what has happened?

Thanks

Neil

Pitlamp

I presume they've connected those two long underwater caves which were reported in the most recent Descent, giving a longer through dive than that in Kingsdale. The Descent article also referred to an in-and-out dive which is longer than the previously longest British in-and-out dive of just over a mile, which was done about 12 years ago in the Dales. (It was me that did it but I'm not really into "records" where cave diving is concerned, because I'm interested in the cave itself, not how far I have to swim to take me there, so I kept it fairly quiet at the time. It's the media which seems to want to flag up records.)

These lads are doing some very good stuff and are to be warmly congratulated.

Pitlamp's dive was Keld Head to almost KMC and back out again whilst surveying I believe. I think an Aquazepp or equivalent was used though??

Bloody good effort - anyone who's done any diving will appreciate how remote you can feel even a few hundred metres into a sump....

D.

mrodoc

Impressive. 45 years ago Triton magazine the first diving magazine in the UK published a letter from an Irish diver suggesting the disappearing rivers of Galway should be explored. It has finally happened.

graham

Be fair Pete, they are building on a lot of work from the Dark Shamrock guys over the years.

Pitlamp

Danthecavingman is almost right; after that one the next dive was the double through dive to KH to KMC and back, with a small deviation at one point; a total underwater journey of around 4000 m. It was one of a whole series of working dives (which is still ongoing). This was a "record" but I deliberately chose not to flag it up at the time. If someone else has now "beaten" (what a horrible term) this "record" then all I can say is "Great news - well done!".

Having said that, have a look at what our lads and lasses have just achieved in Spain . . . 

randallised

As with most newspaper articles this story contains a lot of inaccuracies I have not read the descent article but lets hope its better than the Irish Times job.