John Buxton Possible Oldest Cave Dive Record

Pitlamp

Nice one John. I think he also set a cave diving distance record in the early 50s in the Beck Head Stream Cave sump.  I'm pretty sure he played that one down as well but it was a very significant event at the time.

Apart from all this JB is also one of the greatest of CDG ambassadors.

Happy birthday John!

Duncan Price

paul said:
John Buxton seems to have set a record for the oldest person to undertake a cave dive. See http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/80-year-old-hopes-broken-cave-dive-record/story-12781794-detail/story.html. Good on him!

As well as John's wife Audrey, one of their daughters and her family, Clive Westlake and I were on hand to record the event.  I posted a video of it on YouTube (will add link when I can access it).  I don't suppose I got a credit for the stills used in the newspaper article?

Pitlamp

That was great - thanks very much Peter for posting the YouTube link; I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. It's nice that the video also has Audrey in it too.

Slightly sloppy finning technique though; we'll have to get that corrected ready for his 90th birthday dive!

Is the vis really that good at the moment in Wookey? As ever, it's pretty brown here in the Dales.

mrodoc

Pitlamp said:
Is the vis really that good at the moment in Wookey? As ever, it's pretty brown here in the Dales.

No proper rain for months.  The two risings by Goughs Cave have been virtually dry for weeks.

Duncan Price

mrodoc said:
Pitlamp said:

No proper rain for months.  The two risings by Goughs Cave have been virtually dry for weeks.

The visibility is superb (at long as you are not behind JSB).  I dived Wookey last night - the water level is at least 18" below normal and well below the weir at the entrance.  There is airspace through to 5.

Vis in Gough's has been very good too.