tdobson

I'm looking for recommendations of a cave/mine in the peak district:

• Good in heavy rain
  • includes SRT
  • isn't utterly rubbish
  • isn't massively committing SRT
  • doesn't require a permit
  • isn't super far to the SRT

Essentially I'm looking to take some newbies who think they're progressing for some jolly SRT experience this weekend.

I heard there were some training pitches in Devonshire Caverns - which I've never been to - maybe a trip through there + them? Or anyone got wiser suggestions?

I feel like some of the mines probably fit this description quite well, but I only know Nickergrove really.

Brains

Eyam Dale Shaft into Carlswark, can exit the Gin with out any further SRT if problems
Jug Holes, shaft into the adit entrance level, easy to get to bottom for coaching / escape
Giants Hole, Upper East / West direct - access via normal climb, bolts in roof. Also Garlands but can be wet and noisy...
Water Icicle, 33m straight drop from surface - can be exposed as on top of the hill!
Knotlow area - Knotlow climbing shafts, Hillocks oil drum route (Note, the wet crawl in the coffin level was cleared a number of years ago, but has been deliberately topped up with tailings to make it more "sporting"  :chair: This means it can sump and is always wet now...

zomjon

As mentioned by Brains, the short shaft that drops into Jughole adit is good for up and down practice and communication. Another like that could be Tearsal. The climbing shaft at knotlow is great, two shortish pitches, one with a deviation, though the third pitch into Waterfall Chamber should be left for later, can be quite intimidating with the traverse and the noise! The climbing shaft into Hillocks offers a number of ?friendly? rebelays, and the chance for a through trip with Whalf engine shaft or as Brains mentioned, the bin entrance. Eldon or Maskill would be pretty challenging for a first trip, though Oxlow, particularly the first few pitches, is excellent practice. The deviation on the fourth pitch can be awkward.

pwhole

I wasn't 'allowed' in Maskhill for a year after learning SRT, in order to get my skills up to speed. I was quite grateful for that. Mind you, I know someone who did Titan on her third SRT trip and Maskhill on her fourth, so don't take my word for it. But Oxlow is much easier.

Fatman

Oxlow good for beginners. Easy and quick entrance shaft if the weather is bad. Safe and impressive. My first SRT trip was nettle pot. All 3 of us novices, turned into an epic but learned a lot, generally how not to do it. We definitely got away with one and I still whince 35 years on thinking of that trip.

tdobson

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions you all!

Still digesting them, but particularly grateful for the thoughts everyone!

Pete K

mikem said:
I believe the connection between eyam dale shaft & gin entrance does flood...
It does not, well maybe if there is a colossal one in a hundred years flood event. No reports of that bit ever flooding. The puddles fill up deeper though! The route from North West Passage to Big Dig or Stalactite Passage does flood, but this is off the through trip to Gin.

Dry SRT = Suicide Cave, Pindale Farm tower, Devonshire practice pitches, Knotlow climbing shaft and pearl chamber, Merlins Mine (1 drop only), Eyam Dale Shaft to Carlswark (but is awkward midway) plus a bunch more spots around the Peak area.

paul

Brains said:
Water Icicle, 33m straight drop from surface - can be exposed as on top of the hill!

And you have to arrange access to drive up Derby Lane if you want to avoid a longer walk-in approach...

tdobson

Inevitably, like all good asks for suggestions, we ignored all the recommendations and happily and safely got wet in Geology Pot and had a great time.

But whilst there may not be much caving happening for a bit, I'll be following up these recommendations and ticking them off.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - for some reason I always feel a bit apprehensive asking, but am happily surprised at the enthusiasm and ideas. It's very welcoming :)