Princeton Tec Surge torches

JB

I've been using a pair of Princeton Tec Surge torches on my helmet for a couple of weeks and I reckon they'll be great when I get in any passage big and clear enough to require them. I think they're a fairly new torch so thought a bit of feedback might be in order.

They're very powerful (7.5W Halogen), seem well-made, easy to use and simple to take apart to fettle. Don't look at your mate underwater with them though. He's unlikely to thank you for it! I haven't used any other Halogen torches underwater so nothing for comparison but these seem as though they'll do the job.

http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/acatalog/princeton_tec_surge.html

Steve Robinson

I had a pair that I used on about 10 dives. Nice and bright with a good spread but IMHO not as good as the new SL4 LED.

Main issue I had with them was that they have a series/parrallel battery config (the idea being that you can use only 4 batteries instead of 8 and get the same output but for half the time).

Problem here is that if there is a fault on one of the parrallel circuits you won't know until it goes dim in half the time you anticipated. This I discovered after passing 2 sumps and being 120m from daylight - not a happy camper  :-\

BTW: Replacement bulbs are about a tenner each.

peterdevlin

Steve Robinson said:
I had a pair that I used on about 10 dives. Nice and bright with a good spread but IMHO not as good as the new SL4 LED.

Main issue I had with them was that they have a series/parrallel battery config (the idea being that you can use only 4 batteries instead of 8 and get the same output but for half the time).

Problem here is that if there is a fault on one of the parrallel circuits you won't know until it goes dim in half the time you anticipated. This I discovered after passing 2 sumps and being 120m from daylight - not a happy camper  :-\

BTW: Replacement bulbs are about a tenner each.
Steve: you must tell me the story ... see you soon.

Ciao,
Peter

Steve Robinson

Llygad Llwchwr in the small chamber between sumps 2&3. Actually happened on the way out and I was carrying 3 spares but annoying all the same!

See you on Feb 4th  :)

S

SLP

Steve Robinson said:
Llygad Llwchwr in the small chamber between sumps 2&3. Actually happened on the way out and I was carrying 3 spares but annoying all the same!

Eeee Lad, Thar doesn't know thar's born.  We used to dream about lamps lasting for the trip in let alone the trip out.....

Steve Robinson

SLP said:
Steve Robinson said:

Eeee Lad, Thar doesn't know thar's born.  We used to dream about lamps lasting for the trip in let alone the trip out.....

I know.  and after a handful of hot gravel for breakfast  ;) Kids want it all these days

S

SLP

Steve Robinson said:
I know.  and after a handful of hot gravel for breakfast  ;) Kids want it all these days

Aye... and we 'ad to eat gravel 'cos lead were too dear......  Anyhow... on t' subject of sub aquatic sub terrainian lighting systems... err.... 'ang on... why the #### am I talkin' Yorkshire, I'm from ####in' Derbyshire...

Anyway, finally managed to lay my hands on one of those damn fine looking Green Force modular / umbilical LED lamps. It only uses 9.5W but the output is equivalent to a 35W Halogen and with a much higher colour temp.  It has a battery the size of a Coke can and runs 5.5hrs.  Not as bright as an HID but far more robust and reliable.  Not had the chance to use it underground yet due to an inconvenient injury but comparing it to what I've had-used-seen before it looks like it should be a top piece of kit.  I can't fault the overall quality of engineering, it looks excellent.  I think gone are the days of the big primary running out of grunt before the back ups....

S

SLP

Pitlamp said:
'Ow much do they rush thi lad?

I don't rightly now... it was partly a favour and I didn't like to ask what it should have been.....