A Glimmering in Darkness - Graham Balcombe

Duncan Price

Described by its author as "A collection from the principal records in the “archives” of Graham Balcombe on the events leading to the foundation of The Cave Diving Group and notebook records of the early “ops.” in which he took part." This book covers the genesis of UK cave diving from the early attempts to extend Swildon's Hole (Sump 1 was passed by Jack Shappard in 1936 using homemade pump-fed equipment, Sump 2 was passed soon after by Balcombe on homemade open circuit equipment) and Wookey Hole (explored before the War on standard diving dress).  During the War, Balcombe designed and built his own oxygen rebreather to explore Keld Head and other sites in Northern England.  The Cave Diving Group was formed in 1946 and is probably the oldest technical diving organisation still in existance. We owe much to Balcombe & his contemporaries and now the story is told by one of its founders.

The manuscript was originally penned in 1987 and remained largely unavailable until now when it has been published by the CDG.  Several photographs from various sources have been used to illustrate the text but the words themselves portray the determination and ingenuity of the first cave divers.

I would commend this book to anyone remotely interested in cave exploration.

Available to CDG members via the CDG online shop at reduced rate or you can buy online from http://www.lulu.com/content/864183

J

james

£20 + post seems rather expensive.  I hope it is worth.  Is there a copy in the Wessex library I can look at?

Duncan Price

It is worth it!  280 pages including 16 illustrations, case bound.  The production cost of the book and ancilliary expenses leave very little profit for the CDG...I'd been advised to price it higher.  No doubt flush clubs like the Wessex will buy a copy  ;).  It is available through the CDG to members at £15 (when they get a stock).  So don't winge.

Stupot

Duncan,

Would like to purchase a copy of this book, I am a CDG member but cannot see it on the online shop, has it been added yet ?

Cheers

Stu.

Duncan Price

No - I ordered copies for sale from the CDG shop and they will take another 10 days or so to arrive.  Printing is done in the USA.