Ibbeth Peril

Groundhog

I was thinking of doing Ibeth Peril soon while the dry weather lasts.
Does anyone know if the entrance is clear?
We will be a small party of my own family in case anyone is interested  ;)

Dave254

I went towards the end of the summer last year  there was a wooden cover/fence l, it took a few minutes to remove the branches that had built up over the top

mikem

Helps if you have some idea as to where it actually is, as we couldn't even see the cover.

RUSS B

Hi Groundhog,

Entrance is currently blocked and there has also been a small rockfall I'm going  on Sunday morning to clear it and will inspect the rock above at the same time

Hopefully photo attached

Russ

Attachments

• 20210409_104310.jpg
    20210409_104310.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 151

Groundhog

We went up to the very lovely Dentdale today with the intension of doing the Peril. Didn't start too well as when we got to Dent there was a sign saying the road was closed. we ignored it and got to within 1/2 a mile of the cave before we came upon the closure. As we turned round to retrace our steps we had an encounter with a very grumpy farmer who informed us we were idiots  ;).
Back to the village and took the back road on the other side of the valley and managed to get right up the Ibbeth Peril car park. There we met a nice chap who was working on the road repair who was quite interested in the cave. We almost persuaded him to come along with us!. Next we encountered two cavers just returning from the cave who had spent 1/2 an hour clearing the entrance so we had no problem entering the cave.  ;)
An enjoyable trip followed. What a lovely cave!. The climb up to the waterfall into the inlet stream was quite sporting. I think yesterdays rain had increased the flow a bit. The climb down into the lower streamway was fun too.
A good day out. Perfect restart after the lock down. I may have a short video. If it turns out I'll post it here.

PeteA

The road to the west of Ibbeth car park and including the car park itself has been closed for a month now whilst they rebuild the road that was collapsing to the field below Broadfield.
There is propably another week - or maybe more - before completion and in the meantime the Ibbeth car park is out of bounds. They have to finish surfacing and build a safety barrier of some kind to stop motorists driving into the field.
But on a good point - the car part was a mess a couple of weeks ago with spoil and aggregate, but appears to have been tidied up,

The entrance to Ibbeth I was covered last time I was down (before the work started) but should not take too long to clear.
Someone appeared to have re-opened Ibbeth II earlier this year but you can expect debris in the that entrance as well.

Groundhog

On Friday the Ibbeth Peril car park was in the process of being resurfaced and was almost finished. There is ample paring just 100m up the road. The road workers were happy for us to park there and access the cave across the car park.
The entrance to 1 is clear at the moment but 2 appears to be completely blocked. We couldn't even tell exactly where it was.

PeteA

Today (Monday) the road is being re-surfaced.
The word is there will be a contra-flow with traffic lights on the exposed part of the road for the duration. We will see how this works.

Can show you Ibbeth 2 entrance, We re-opened it back in 1990 (very ish) prior to further exploration.

Pete A

PeteA

confirming the road is now open and as indicated there is a contra-flow along the repaired section of road.

Fulk

The road to the west of Ibbeth car park and including the car park itself has been closed for a month now whilst they rebuild the road that was collapsing to the field below Broadfield.

So, Pete, if the road was collapsing ? was it collapsing into a cave?

PeteA

No -  the section of road lies between Broadfield and the Twang/Nirvana passages. It had been undermined over decades by the rain water flowing down Broadfield Lane and across and under the road. The banking collapsed over a 20 yard patch and gradually got worse until it became a liability.
There are other locations particurly to the east of Ibbeth that are also suffering.

Pete#