Barbondale reminder

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Avoiding access conflicts in Barbondale for September and October

Although this was included in the CNCC March newsletter, with the approach of the shooting season, the following is a timely reminder.

In Autumn 2018, the CNCC received reports of some access problems in the Crystal Cave, Dog Holes and Barking Gill area of Barbondale. The gamekeeper had been attempting to keep all visitors away from this area, even though it is access land under the CRoW Act. It was also noted that this area is often used by school groups for gorge scrambling.

Our investigations revealed that this area is also the breeding area for the local shooting syndicate with shooting taking place each week in September and October. The shoot is run as a business and so the gamekeeper is very keen to ensure it runs smoothly. Specifically, shooting takes place each Thursday during this period and the gamekeeper wishes that the birds are not disturbed or dispersed on this day or the day beforehand.

There should be no reason to restrict access to the caves in the area if cavers can keep away from the feeding grounds up on the open hillside. Access to both Crystal Cave and Dog Hole can be made either by ducking through the culvert under the road or by going through the gate and keeping close to the wall until the gill is reached, and following up the gill, rather than taking a route across the open fell. The direct route to Barbon Pot however is likely to be most disruptive and should be avoided at critical times.

Possibly it is best to avoid the shoot area on Wednesdays and Thursdays of September and October if you can easily rearrange your plans for an alternative day/month.

If cavers can be more aware of the needs of the shoot between the end August and the beginning of November, then good relations with the other fell users should be maintained. Please pass on this information to all interested parties.

CNCC Access Officer

Bob Mehew

It may be they are using their right under Sec 22 of CRoW Act to place a temporary ban on access for shooting days.  They have got a legal restriction in place over access with dogs.  I have pm'd Badlad with back ground information.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The restriction on dogs is pretty much a blanket ban due to ground nesting birds and has been in place since the beginning.  As far as I know, from my discussions with the agent and owner, there is no section 22 restriction in place for the shoot days.  My guess is that they do not feel the need for one.

There is a voluntary arrangement in place with some educational users but recreational caving use is pretty minimal anyway.  Above all our advisory notes show a good will from the caving community and is part of a wider on-going initiative which is expected to produce more interesting results soon.

Cheers
Tim