Looking for contacts in Sydney, Oz. Hills?

topcat

I've sent a couple of messages to the web master of Hills speleo club in Sydney but not had a reply.

I'm going to be in Sydney/Oz all of July this year, covering the period of the 17th WSC meet, though I'm not registered for this.

So, looking to get some caving in with the locals, or indeed anywhere in that vast country!

Any Australian cavers on here?  Any ideas who to contact next?

cheers
TC

rhychydwr1

There are one or two cavers in Oz, but they are very fat and spent all their time drinking Fosters.. I could tell you more, but it is best in a PM.

Long Drop

Hi Topcat, I've got a caver friend in the Sydney area.  I'll send him a link asking him to look at this thread and see if he can help you.

L

Brian Hedden

Hi Topcat,

There are a few clubs in the area. The biggest one is Sydney Uni Speleo Society (SUSS), which do trips pretty much every weekend. Main areas nearby are Jenolan (3hrs drive from Sydney) and Wombeyan (2.5-3), but there's a bunch of others slightly further afield: Bungonia (a bit of vertical), Tuglow, Abercrombie, Wellington. Here's their website, with contact info etc: https://suss.caves.org.au/

Sadly, Aussie caving is more regulated than in the UK, so it's nearly impossible to just rock up at a cave on your own and do your thing. You typically need a permit from National Parks, which means going with one of the established clubs.

Drop me a line if you'd like any more info,

Brian