Recommendations for caving weekend - Becon Beacons/East thereof

martinb

After many years caving in Derbyshire, my mate has moved down to Caerleon area. Now, he doesn't drive, so muggins here is visiting him for a weekend in Sept.

Now, I've done OFD II with my last club, and we're both mud hardened cavers so I'm after a little advice, we wish to 'do' a decent system not far away from where he lives and I was thinking Agen Allwedd.......

So, as far as I can see AA doesn't need any rope/ladders, where can I get a survey? Is parking still a problem/thieves etc?

Or if thats a non starter, are many of the Clydach Gorge caves still accessible with all the roadworks etc?

I'm camping in the Abergavenny area, so either way I'm driving!  :thumbsdown:

Thanks

Martin

alastairgott

Martin, could you PM me your email address...?

for Further in depth info (after I've sent you what I have) you should consider buying the Chelsea Exploration Journal. Fantastic Read!

Huge

Hi Martin.

You're right that you don't need to carry any tackle for Aggy. There are a number of climbs that are safer with a handline but you'll find that they all have fixed ropes on them.

You can park outside Whitewalls and use Chelsea's changing facilities for the grand price of a pound!

Not sure where to pick up a survey from, probably Whitewalls but that doesn't help with pre-planning. There is a new survey of the cave due out but I'm not sure when. Chelsea S S's Llangatwg Exploration Journal has a usable survey, spread over 2/3 A4 pages and a good description. There is also a partial description and photos on Dudley Bugs' Caves of South Wales website at www.ogof.org.uk .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

martinb

Huge said:
Hi Martin.

You're right that you don't need to carry any tackle for Aggy. There are a number of climbs that are safer with a handline but you'll find that they all have fixed ropes on them.

You can park outside Whitewalls and use Chelsea's changing facilities for the grand price of a pound!

Not sure where to pick up a survey from, probably Whitewalls but that doesn't help with pre-planning. There is a new survey of the cave due out but I'm not sure when. Chelsea S S's Llangatwg Exploration Journal has a usable survey, spread over 2/3 A4 pages and a good description. There is also a partial description and photos on Dudley Bugs' Caves of South Wales website at www.ogof.org.uk .

Cheers for that, whats the process for applying for a permit - neither of us are members of clubs, but we both hold BCA mebership/insurance.

Huge

Go on the Mynydd Llangatock Cave Management/Advisory Committee website - www.macmlc.org , click on Agen Allwedd and you'll see links for the access rules and permit/key application form. Not being a member of a club is not a problem as DIMs can apply. Malcolm should then be in touch.

martinb

ptpeaty said:
Whitewalls, the CSS hut, is not always open every weekend. Please bear that in mind.

It's the w/end of 16th/17th Sept, the hut is booked by CSS, so I take it we'll still be able to change/wash etc, for a small sum of pounds?

moletta

I think that's a working weekend. I don't think that's a problem for changing, parking but you might want to make contact with the hut secretary to check they aren't doing anything in the shower/ changing area that will cause you problems. Number on the website.

martinb

Have emailed CSS, no reply as yet?  :(

Also have downloaded MLCM/AC permit form for Agen Allwedd, but it is geared for clubs, are 2 BCA members with 10+ years experience, ok to get a permit?

Ta

Martin

Minion

martinb said:
Have emailed CSS, no reply as yet?  :(

Also have downloaded MLCM/AC permit form for Agen Allwedd, but it is geared for clubs, are 2 BCA members with 10+ years experience, ok to get a permit?

Ta

Martin

Don't hold your breathe, MLCMAC permit sec is notoriously slow as evidenced by numerous threads on here.

If all else fails, the Darren Cilau to Ogof Cnwc through trip does not require a key. The route description is available in CSS Newsletter vol 52, issue 10. I can email it to you if needs be  8)

alastairgott

Ian Adams said:
Have you considered the mighty Ogof Draenen?

;)

Ian

He should have done, i'm sure I sent him some info on that... :)

There's also a guide made by Tarquin www.cavinguk.co.uk/draenen/

www.cavinguk.co.uk/draenen/draenen.htm

[quote Author= Minion]
If all else fails, the Darren Cilau to Ogof Cnwc through trip does not require a key. The route description is available in CSS Newsletter vol 52, issue 10. I can email it to you if needs be  8)
[/quote]

Martin, I think you may already have this, might be called Busman's holiday on my file though :s

Stuart France

My suggestions:

Step 1. Ring Malcolm Read (his number is on the contact list here http://mlcmac.org/llangtwg.htm) and ask him to issue you with an NRW permit for Agen Allwedd and Craig a Ffynnon.  You're BCA individual members so that is fine.  Incredibly, this permit is still a piece of paper, so be sure to get his verbal agreement or an email out of him, given the short timescale.

Step 2.  Turn up at Whitewalls, park there, on Sat 17th Sept, ideally with the paper permit but if not then with his email saying it is in the post, and borrow the NRW keys you want from CSS.  The key to Ogof Cnwc (for Busmans, Daren) is controlled by CSS not NRW, and is issued without any permit to bona fide cavers.

You've now got a choice of 3 interesting long caves, two of which are within walking distance of Whitewalls.  There is generally no problem parking if you are using the cottage for changing/showers which cost 50p.  CSS has a meet there that weekend so there should be people about but if you want to pre-arrange anything with me or John Stevens then phone numbers are here:  http://dev.chelseaspelaeo.org/contact.htm

We look forward to meeting you.

Stuart France