Underground Adventure- Gemmell & Myers offer

moorebooks

Whilst clearing my stores I found an extra box full of new copies of this book I obtained these via  Tony Jarret's estate. it is a superb read and rather than sit on them  I'm making it available to the community during this lock in at ?1.00 a copy + P&P

Underground Adventure, A Gemmell and J O Myers,  Castle Cary Press, 1990, PB, 239pp. A facsimile reprint of the 1952 edition giving an interesting account of the exploration and discovery of many well known caves in Britain.  Well illustrated with BW photos.

Mike

David Rose

Fascinating book which gives a real sense of the excitement of cave exploration in this era - including the discovery of Lancaster Hole.

Cavematt

An outstanding read... I read the section on the original exploration of Little Hull Pot only a week after my first ever trip down there. Totally amazing to hear the story of the epic exploration and the challenges faced (on ladders and in the waterfalls) only days after I had just got to the terminal sump and out, dry, in only four hours thanks to SRT. Shows how things have changed...

Pitlamp

Hopefully you'll find it dovetails reasonably well with the Adventures Underground book.
It's supposed to . . . .

A great many years ago when I was at school in High Wycombe, I found a copy of this book in the school library and was fascinated by it. I became determined to try out caving and later, when working on a dairy farm near Wycombe, I attended an introductory course at Whernside Manor. I remember going to KMC and Ireby Fell among others, and a great deal of swearing (The course was run by Dave Elliot). Later still I managed to find a caver nearby who was a member of The BEC and he introduced me and started me on a hobby which I have recently had to stop due to general decrepitude. I suppose I should not name the local caver, to whom I owe a debt of gratitude, but many BEC members will know who I mean.
So, thank you Gemmell and Myers. 

moorebooks

Martin Wright said:
Thanks Mike. I've just ordered a copy too.

The orders received have all been posted , the postal system has slowed down considerably as a sign of the times fingers crossed there is not too much of delay

Mike

Ian Ball

Excellent, thank you, I am finding Royal mail to be excellent.

Although I was already caving by the time I came across Underground Adventures, I would say with some certainty it is the most read book I own (sorry Pitlamp!)

Scud

moorebooks said:
The orders received have all been posted , the postal system has slowed down considerably as a sign of the times fingers crossed there is not too much of delay

Mike

Thanks Mike, the copy I ordered as landed through the letterbox this morning, I look forward to reading it. Wayne

Joe Duxbury

I've just finished reading this classic (thank you very much, Mike) - one of the books that set me off on my caving 'career'. Here's a couple of gems:
In the chapter on Simpson Pot, describing the first descent of Slit Pot: 'Off came [Railton's] thick tweed jacket and ... he slipped through with comparative ease'. Ee, cavers knew 'ow to dress in those days!
And, on Lancaster Hole: 'The rights of entry have been acquired by a "speleological" society and the entrance sealed with an iron cover.' Plus ca change ...

moorebooks

Joe Duxbury said:
I've just finished reading this classic (thank you very much, Mike) - one of the books that set me off on my caving 'career'. Here's a couple of gems:
In the chapter on Simpson Pot, describing the first descent of Slit Pot: 'Off came [Railton's] thick tweed jacket and ... he slipped through with comparative ease'. Ee, cavers knew 'ow to dress in those days!
And, on Lancaster Hole: 'The rights of entry have been acquired by a "speleological" society and the entrance sealed with an iron cover.' Plus ca change ...

I would have made a similar at HE this year as that seems unlikely I'm glad people are enjoy the read whilst sunbathing  and dreaming of exploration or digs. I still have 13 copies left

Mike