What I have seen on my trips (Troglobites; updated post-trips)

G

george

Hmmm - I used to only take some liquid and choccy on cave trips, more than enough to cope I thought. Now I've started taking a sandwich as well. The other week a friend of mine pulled out an elaborate salad when we stopped for a break and it's got me thinking more about suitable cave food. If I took a small pan, a stove and some garlic along with some nice, crusty bread; I could find these shrimps and have a proper meal! Maybe throw in a slug or two as well.

Bon apitite

George

Elaine

If it is the same variety of cave shrimp that I have seen in Swildons (And somewhere else I've forgotten) then they are very small, only a few mm. Would need quite a few for a prawn cocktail.

pete_the_caver

anyone tried peripatus? can sometimes be found in New Zealand caves. How about poisonous monkeys if trapped in a cave for 6 months?

richardg

Back I think in 1976, Whilst exploring a new discovery in the Manifold Valley in Staffordshire,during extremely dry conditions, it was possible to get down below what would usually be the saturated zone, there were some fantastic creatures,

An artical was published in the YSS newsletter about the exploration.

What I guess would have usually been a major flooded conduit about fourty feet beneath the river bed was on this occassion reduced to just a trickle, which only just maintained itself and fed some receeding pools along the base of a large passage,
These had become a bubbling mass of white shrimps and white bullhead trout (dont know the proper scientific name)

But the most remarkable  was a giant crayfish which had a translucent outer shell, Its internal organs could be veiwed through its skin. one one side it  had one large claw and on the other long feelers. it was amazing and in truth, quite terrifying, as at this point the height of the passage although wide had been reduced to a hands and knees crawl,  and this unique creature was just inches from ones face!

richardg

Hi O.G.
We were just teenages at the time, and it was a desperate squeeze down the first two metres of the entrance shaft, and an equally desperate climb back up and out. there was no camera, but lasting wonderful memories of a unique and precious moment.

Another time, During the summer of1979, Peter Ryder, Arthur Champion and I were pushing some watery caves in Southern Ireland when we entered some spacecious  galleries, in what at first appeared to be a change in the geology, the passages appeared to be of a very dark limestone.

But it was an illusion, as we were to discover. When all of a sudden the stillness  was broken with an allmighty eruption of wings, as hundreds of bats became aware of our intrusion on their secret hitherto unentered underground world. 

alastairgott

owd git said:
that knocks the odd slug into a cocked hat! :clap:
your cocked hat i suppose  :ras: :LOL:
richardg said:
Back I think in 1976, Whilst exploring a new discovery in the Manifold Valley in Staffordshire
live in Cheshire so may have to go exploring @ sometime.

alastairgott

Idiom- To be knocked into a cocked hat is to be soundly and swiftly defeated.

Ah well i concede. But Touch?! (not on the same level of humour though, i fear!)

owd git

a worthy adversary in the world of semantics, i suspect. Beware the Burgess. (with eyes of fire, and teeth that gnash....)
shit :cry: ( drifted into nonsense again.) sorry.
oh, loved the accent. (y)
O.G.

alastairgott

Who IS Mr Pete Burgess?? Mendip?,yorkshire?,derbyshire?,wales?,scotland?,ireland?,BCRA?,Digger?,intellect?

or even just general legend! where may i find him of a general weekend?

Big Jim

alastairgott said:
Who IS Mr Pete Burgess?? Mendip?,yorkshire?,derbyshire?,wales?,scotland?,ireland?,BCRA?,Digger?,intellect?

or even just general legend! where may i find him of a general weekend?

Think he's joined the Eldon :LOL:

SamT

like this...

Code:
 [url=http://www.blah.blah.blah]HERE[/url]

or in your case

Code:
 [url=http://www.yucpc.org.uk/index.php]YUCPC[/url]

which will end up looking like..

YUCPC

alastairgott

this will be updated in the next few weeks with all of my finds in south wales!! probably quite a few being found around OFD  ;)