Collapse at Wretched Rabbit Entrance

AndyW

I visited Wretched Rabbit entrance today and found that a large (approximately 1m cubed - of a similar size to the one in front of New Cave)) boulder has dropped from directly above the entrance hole. It hasn't blocked the way in as there is enough room to get over it and into the cave, but there are still some loose and nasty rocks to the right that look ready for dropping.

I'm not sure when this happened, but it is certainly VERY recent as the top of the boulder it still well covered in mud that hasn't yet been washed off by the rain. I'd say it's only been down a day or two. It doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if it have fallen at the wrong moment.....

Andy

2xw

Hi,

To confirm it has been down since before Saturday as we saw it coming out. I wasn't sure if it was the natural state of things but surely didn't remember it being like that

Might be freeze thaw?

WallE

UPDATE: Following a jolly afternoon of giant boulder fettling using only basic tools (and a big fencepost) the entrance area has been stabilized, landscaped and largely cleaned up. It just needs a bit of rain now to wash things down. Aficionados will be pleased to know that access to New Cave is unaffected. Please take care though, as a fall of this size may have loosened up adjacent bits of rock.