Stop descenders

Keris82

I've seen loads of magideal stop descenders on Amazon which are half the price of the petzl stop. Has anyone used a magodeal and are they safe? Or is petzl stop the best one to use?

crickleymal

Consensus is that you get what you pay for. You're dangling off one rope relying on a cheap Chinese knock off with possibly fake CE marks. Your call.

Peregrina

To save money while still buying top-quality kit, there's always this:

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Belay-devices--descenders/SIMPLE

;)

Alex

Looks like they sell pantins too, for ?12 that may be worth the risk as it's not going to kill you if it fails, which it looks like it will do with a 1 star review, though that was for it just not working in the first place.

pwhole

If it gets stuck on the rope, as one did recently, how do you get off it? And if there's eight people behind you waiting to climb, what then? Foot ascenders may not be PPE, but they can certainly screw up your day if they don't work correctly.

thomasr

Buy cheap copies , drive Petzl ect.  out of business. And then you will really be at the mercy of the far eastern manufacturers :cautious:

Alex said:
Looks like they sell pantins too, for ?12 that may be worth the risk as it's not going to kill you if it fails, which it looks like it will do with a 1 star review, though that was for it just not working in the first place.

Do not buy a cheap Pantin. They only have a single stage spring. This lifts the rope at the bottom of the pitch. I have one I used once and when I get around to it, I am going to modify it to take the twin springs of a proper pantin. The short throw (small) pantin is terrible when using with wellies. The old green one was brilliant. (I have one of these now).

What I want to know is "does a CT foot ascender without locking catch have a 2 stage petzl spring, or a single one like the chinese jobbies?". If CT do a progressive spring, I will use one in the future. I didn't look at my CT, but gave it to a mate, as being a bit of a mega monster, fiddling with the catch on rope was a hassle.

Alex

Buy cheap copies , drive Petzl ect.  out of business. And then you will really be at the mercy of the far eastern manufacturers :cautious:

I don't know having seen some of the more recent shoddy stops and chest jammers Petzle have been producing recently maybe it is time to switch to another manufacturer?
I am referring to the plate of death on the chest jammer and the fast wearing stops, that seem to wear out after only a few thousand meters.

Hopefully the Chinese ones will up their game which may force Petzle to up theirs?

However I agree i won't actually buy a foot jammer to use in anger, what I was saying is I would be willing to test it (whilst keeping my current pantin) as it won't kill me if it fails the test.

Simon Wilson

thomasr said:

That's right. If enough people keep buying cheap stuff it becomes increasingly hard to get quality stuff. The same applies to crappy cheap power tools from Lidl that are manufactured with very little regard for the environment for the sake of a very short useable life before they add to the filling up of landfill sites. The same applies to just about all manufactured goods - don't get me started on footwear. I go out of my way to buy workboots and pay ?160 a pair for very high quality hand made by a craftsman.

Alex

The problem is though as I staed above buying expensive does not always mean buying quality.

IanWalker

Alex said:
having seen some of the more recent shoddy stops and chest jammers Petzle have been producing recently maybe it is time to switch to another manufacturer?
Having worn out a number of Petzl chest ascenders, and not liking the look of the recent Petzl offerings I switched to CT on Inglesport's recommendation.

Been pleased with it so far but it hasn't had enough use for a long term review.
http://inglesport.com/products/climbing-technology-evo

Simon Wilson

Alex said:
The problem is though as I staed above buying expensive does not always mean buying quality.

You weren't talking about buying expensive gear; you were talking about buying Petzl gear and Petzl gear is not expensive.

Petzl appear to have been lowering the quality of their products in order to compete on price. The better quaility products such as CT and Camp are generally slightly more expensive but most cavers seem to be prepared to pay more for the higher quality.

Madness

It's about time someone bought a load of 'cheap Chinese stuff' and actually did thorough testing on it. I dare say a lot of it is crap, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of it isn't as good as the stuff the Petzl, CT, Camp etc get made in China (but won't admit it!).

thomasr

I guess the copiers look at say, a petzl pantin, and  go yes easy to copy. And why not fit  a stronger spring ?must be better! They not being in the climbing caving business do not understand the subtlties possibly. Yes PETZL cock up, but they have a wealth of experience to draw on