Raven Mine

Madness

I'm thinking of doing a trip down Raven Mine at Monyash in the near future. l have the grid reference, but if anyone can give any extra info to aid finding the shaft it would be appreciated.

Also, is the shaft lidded or covered, or is it open? If covered, what's it covered with? Does it need a spanner?

Any info on the place at all would be appreciated.

Madness

Thanks Al, that's a brilliant map

I haven't got a copy of COPD with me at the moment but I thought the map in it showed Raven Mine on the same side of Fern Dale as Freezeland Mine. It looks like the guide is wrong - good job I asked.

Katie

It has a grill covering it - i can't remember using a spanner!
It is on a little mound of earth, that is next to a dry stone wall. Well worth a visit!

al

On reflection, I've asked for the map to be removed as it may be in breach of copyright.
Sorry about this, Madness - I hope that you've got the details now.

alastairgott

It's also on the DCA cave registry, probably best to view in Google maps rather than OS, then you get satellite imagery and can see the walls.

https://thedca.org.uk/dca-cr/registry/sitedetails.php?id=188

I went the other year, but we were light on rope, ended up not doing as much as although you shouldn't trust any of the ladders in there. I think I remember the last ladder we saw was very sparce on rungs!

Madness

The map that Al posted and the Derbyshire Cave Registry point to the same location. COPD suggests that to be the location of Eagle Mine. I trust Al more than COPD, which has the wrong grid ref. for Raven Mine and the wrong position on the map. Is anyone keeping a log or COPD errors for when a new edition is planned?

al

The Cave Registry map shows Eagle Mine as a yellow pointer not very far from Raven Mine.

aardgoose

Madness said:
Is anyone keeping a log or COPD errors for when a new edition is planned?

There is a feedback form link on the Registry site, for submitting corrections.  A lot of locations are not very accurate, so updates are always welcome. Entrance pictures are also very much welcome for the revived peakdistrictcaving.info site.

The registry data will feed into any future COPD editions.

braveduck

The "Raven" Mine I went down years ago was in the middle of the first field
below Eagle Mine .It never fitted the descriptions in the Books . A great potential
dig in there as well.

pwhole

A perfect opportunity for me (as DCA Cave Registry Secretary) to ask folks to send in accurate grid refs (and entrance photos) for as many sites as possible, whenever possible. We can only use the data we have, and it's impossible for us to go around every catchment checking every reference for accuracy. Grid Reference Finder is excellent when the entrance to somewhere is obvious from their satellite view, but entrances within trees (especially lots of entrances, like Stoney Middleton) are very difficult to log without accurate GPS refs. If folks have these units, and you regularly walk in areas of interest, please log sites and send them in, and then I can update the registry immediately.

Madness

I've just downloaded an App for my Iphone which gives a grid reference for the phone. I think it may be useful.

aardgoose

NB.  Lat Long is also fine of course - (WGS84).

With phone apps it is best if they give you some indication of the accuracy.

mikem

pwhole said:
A perfect opportunity for me (as DCA Cave Registry Secretary) to ask folks to send in accurate grid refs

Unfortunately you still can't trust GPS readings under trees, so take several...

Mike

Katie

As Alan has removed the map here is a new one showing a way of walking to Raven mine if you park in the layby at the top of Lathkill dale by the toilets. (Just down from Google maps and memory.....)
29063158_10102348473068552_1023696426980343808_n.jpg

And closer of the entrance mound....
28795211_10102348473073542_8461781972002275328_n.jpg

I think I remember the last ladder we saw was very sparce on rungs!

Alastair - I think you will find the rungs are all there, just in a pile at the bottom of the pitch!
Well worth going back to, At the bottom of the missing rung pitch you climb over a blind pit then crawl a little way - a climb up takes you to loads more stuff. An interesting mine cos you have to play 'spot the mine' as it seems to be almost all natural!

Katie

Fingers crossed I haven't marked it in totally the wrong place! Not been there in a few years......

Madness

Thanks to everyone for the information.

We had a trip down Raven Mine last night and it is an interesting place with lots of dig potential. It could do with a bit of engineering work though. A few new anchors would go amiss. I tried not to notice the badly stacked deads behind the matting!

Spires

Access query? Is it best to approach Raven Mine from Fern Dale or another direction. I was undertaking a reccy yesterday from Fern Dale and I could see location of Raven Mine from the field I had crossed and there was a stepping-stone crossing point in drystone wall, but wall was topped with barbed wire! Many thanks, Paul. 

JonP

Madness said:
Thanks to everyone for the information.

We had a trip down Raven Mine last night and it is an interesting place with lots of dig potential. It could do with a bit of engineering work though. A few new anchors would go amiss. I tried not to notice the badly stacked deads behind the matting!

I thought Ben had dug it to death in the higher up stuff! The very very high up stuff is pretty close to surface from what I remember and the main interesting lead was the flooded shaft that you step across.