• Out now!!

'Descent 290 is published this week and features eight extra pages. I'm not quite sure why I decided to give myself such additional work so early in my editorship, but my loss is your gain'.

New Descent board here:

Search results

1. F

How to offload dive gear

I never dive below 30m, or in water under 28degC, and use 32% Nitrox. I like wearing no more than shorts and t-shirt. It needs to be sunny and the water crystal clear down to 100m. There needs to be interesting fauna like humpback whales or similar to swim around with. And I have a wave and...
  2. F

How to offload dive gear

That sounds the thing. Thanks.
  3. F

How to offload dive gear

I have been trying to clear out stuff, and I think have to be realistic I am not using my dive gear going forward (I have never dived in the UK) and I don’t like stuff not being used. Apart from some painful process via Ebay, is there somewhere you can offload a bunch of stuff in one go? Some...
  4. F

Wtf

Any money sat in an account has to be used for something to generate interest. The only real power a very rich person has is to dictate who gets their money, rather than (say) a government. They can’t personally consume very much that is denied others. All services involve wages. Often the...
  5. F

Cave Booking Etiquette (eg. Lost Johns')

For the next four Saturdays I count a total of three bookings across the Dales. I really don’t think congestion is caving‘s main problem up here, possibly the opposite. We extremely rarely see anyone else underground unless it is near Lanc Hole entrance. Not like it used to be.
  6. F

Wezzit?

Well, that’s a bonus. I now know that what I thought was a picture of the bottom of Bull Pot is in fact Tatham Wife. And in fact goes with all the other pictures of Tatham Wife we got on the same day…. The interesting pitch in Tatham is the one at the end of the rift if you don’t go down the...
  7. F

Wezzit?

It does rather look like a pic of the bottom of Bull Pot I have, but lit from above.
  8. F

Wezzit?

Ireby?
  9. F

Best ever cave theme trailer

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjP4M-wlP_7AhWDjaQKHY8NBhMQwqsBegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8zIf0XvoL9Y&usg=AOvVaw3BaPmoW7sJzx3Yy-pciF_8
  10. F

Cumbria coal mine go-ahead

You need to run the figures at the margin. You need to run the calcs at the margin. Gas-fired is about 450g/kW.hr. Coal is over double that. For some decades to come gas will be the margin, assuming we can actually avoid coal in the short term as demand increases and our nuclear capacity...
  11. F

Until we stop using fossil fuels to generate power then no transport system or industrial process is “green”. Every additional process using power is adding to demand. If you build your own wind farm that is still power that could be fed to the grid, it is just displacement. At the moment we are...
  12. F

What shut down coal was the Leman, Inde and other big southern North Sea gas fields that came on stream in the 80’s and 90’s. Coal demand collapsed. What is causing the UK big trouble now is they are heavily depleted and will mostly be gone by 2040. So just enough time to build a lot of nuclear...
  13. F

It’s a company from abroad putting money into West Cumbria. What’s the downside really? Something to do for those who don’t work for Sellafield. There is a bit of a gap between those who do and those who don’t.
  14. F

Both heat and chemical. It’s still not so straightforward to make high grade steel without it. All of the stuff I used to buy is made with coke still.
  15. F

This is in the right direction for both North Africa and Europe. Biggest obstacles in general are political stability and security of supply. Pretty ballsy. Equivalent to about one large new nuclear station, so similar cost. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xlinks_Morocco-UK_Power_Project Really...
  16. F

I thought people here liked mines? It’s a bit hypocritical to use primary steel made with coal and then complain about coal production. We are several decades away from having enough non fossil fuel power generation to enable us to make steel with minimal emissions. It’s a vast amount of power...
  17. F

Natural Resources Wales Corporate Plan 2023-30

Under G.Brown’s plan for Labour you will end up with about a dozen of these equally useless bodies, one for each of new “self governing” regions. It’s his cunning plan to break England up into ten Scotland/Wales’s to make everyone feel amazingly involved and deliriously happy with life. Each...
  18. F

Bolts and Insurance

It’s also recommended to limit the distance between rebelays in deeper caves for speed of movement, better communication and visibility and less bounce. I would say to no more than 20m if you can manage it. 5x20m legs is dramatically better for a team than 1x100m. If you really can hit the...
  19. F

Bolts and Insurance

You are addressing whether a claim will succeed (very low), not the fact you got sued. If the court finds against you then third party insurance pays your bill, including for some expensive lawyers. They don’t get to disagree with the court, so they will want to win if millions are at stake (as...
  20. F

Bolts and Insurance

It’s third party insurance. If you are sued they will cover it, it’s legally unambiguous. It doesn’t matter how valid the claim is. The chances of them actually paying out a serious sum are very low because the claim has to succeed. It’s not life or accident insurance. I would say that if you...