Search results

1. Pitlamp

Caving artwork

That's quite good. Might be worth consulting ISSA members as someone would probably recognise it? http://www.issa.org.uk/html/first.htm
  2. Pitlamp

Hut shaft

Which hut shaft? Does your question relate to "Hut Pot" overlooking Littondale (the former MUSS project)?
  3. Pitlamp

Wookey Hole unveils model of the moon in underground cave

Maybe you should book it for your club's winch meet next month Braveduck, so it can be hung in the Main Chamber as a novel feature in the UK's most famous pothole!
  4. Pitlamp

Too Much " Foreign Stuff " In Caving Mags. and Journals ?

I think I understand what you're trying to say Badlad. On the subject of: "I'm part of a very active group in the Dales who dig at least twice a week and have been quite successful over many years. Even so with the best will in the world we cannot fill the pages of magazines with our exploits...
  5. Pitlamp

Thanks for your complementary words above about me Skippy. But I ought to point out that you take much better photographs than I do!
  6. Pitlamp

The nearest we've come to that is perhaps the credit crunch expeditions in the Peak District, resulting in some notable breakthroughs. It's sometimes like that on Gaping Gill winch meets, when those in camp get really focussed on specific projects. Re Badlad's remark: "You'll never fill a bi...
  7. Pitlamp

Wezzit?

For anyone wondering, the bloke in question turned up on a tour in Ingleborough Cave quite a few years ago and inevitably we got chatting. When he said he'd been in the same club as Langcliffe years before I offered to put him in touch. Shortly afterwards he turned up with Langcliffe and friends...
  8. Pitlamp

Wezzit?

If I'm right, someone else jump in please. My photos are rubbish. If I'm wrong I'll have to start scratching my head. Incidentally, if that gentleman is who I think he is, I can claim responsibility for getting him back into caving after a long hiatus!
  9. Pitlamp

Wezzit?

Stile Pot?
  10. Pitlamp

Without in any way wanting to criticise Descent (which remains excellent) I think you make a good point OR. Interestingly, what you allude to about caving literature mirrors the way the BCA Conference has evolved over the years. I'm a northern caver at heart and I watched it go from having...
  11. Pitlamp

Best guidebook for Doubs caves?

Is that the one where you come out up a 30 m (ish) shaft after going upstream from what was once a show cave? If so I've done that and I can highly recommend it. Excellent streamway with loads of cascades and some nice formations. From memory it may be best done in a wetsuit. Very much like...
  12. Pitlamp

Wezzit?

Sorry for late reply; I had to work today. I have a photo along similar lines to that one, which I took shortly after you discovered the place. It was an evening trip with Mr. P.B. Smith. I remember being surprised when he just donned a goon suit over his normal clothes, whilst we got changed...
  13. Pitlamp

Wezzit?

Winnatts Head?
  14. Pitlamp

Cost of cylinder testing?

Thanks all - please keep the information coming; it's all very useful. Benfool; thanks, especially, for the offer but I don't think I'll trouble you on this occasion.
  15. Pitlamp

Thanks; where was that?
  16. Pitlamp

Is it me or are they charging rather more than formerly? If anyone's had tanks tested in the last 3 months I'd be really interested to know what it cost for hydro and / or visual. Just trying to get a feel for the going rate at the moment. (Just for the avoidance of doubt I'm only interested in...
  17. Pitlamp

Wave pool in Taiwan...........

Notice the shadow of the person shooting the video swaying about as well.
  18. Pitlamp

Fluorescein dye

In the hopes of complementing Stuart's helpful information above, here's a photo of -ve and +ve cotton wool detectors alongside each other, from an OBA water tracing test. I make them from poly bags with small holes cut in them (to allow water to circulate) and I like to secure the detectors to...
  19. Pitlamp

Caving article in The Spectator

Well done for reinforcing the point that solo cave diving (in most UK sumps) is usually the safer option, on balance.
  20. Pitlamp

Bit of old litter in GG

Yes, those have been in for years. The logical jumping off point for Souith East Pot is on the opposite side of the shaft and involves a balancy / badly protected walk over fractured rock to get to it. Ancient bolts gave a hang which is possible with no rope rub but they are in suspect rock and...