• Photography Showcase

A great selection of caving photographs to see!

Many thanks to everyone who supports this ever popular thread. Why not join in if you have taken a shot you are pleased with? I'll pop some of my favourites up in notices from time to time - to cancel the notice, clck the X top right.

Click here to see more stunning shots

Search results

1. J

Encouraging and enthusing children to try caving

As a long time caver I?d love to encourage my daughter who is 9 to come along on some easy trips! An outing yesterday had mixed results but was mostly positive! Main worries seemed to be cold feet and self confidence! I guess my question is, what are parents top tips for firing and...
  2. J

For Sale - Diving bits and bobs

Streamlining the amount of stuff I?ve accumulated! 1 x Poseidon Cyklon 300 with a metal 2nd stage and a contents guage on a new short hose. Good condition, probs due a service etc. ?125 2 x BigBlue AL1200NP dive torches. These are the best torches I?ve ever used! Used about 4 times! RRP of...
  3. J

Shameless marathon sponsorship request!

Hello! My friend is running the Manchester Marathon on Sunday for a charity which is very close to both of us. Her little boy was born with a congenital heart defect (I was born with a hole in mine - not as some exes would claim, and entire absense of one..) If anyone could spare even a couple...
  4. J

Free to good home (for the cost of postage) Scurion spares

As my Scurion has permanently departed to pastures new.. I have a box of spare O rings, a 4 cell spare battery, some odd screws, replacement lens and Scurion charger etc. Not sure how much life the battery will give as have never used it but it does hold charge and work. If someone can make use...
  5. J

Stake Pot area Lancaster Hole potential warning

Evening, Whilst picking a route through the stake pot Boulder choke area at stream level today, signs of what appeared to be recent collapse were noted. Whilst things appeared to have settled down, clearly it?s wise to be cautious as despite this being a well travelled area it has obviously...
  6. J

Layering V Furry suit

I have a feeling this has been asked before but.. I?m tending slightly towards the idea of layered up clothing rather than a furry as a compromise and for a little more tailored climate control on longer trips. What are folks using as trousers? Sallopete wise a lot of stuff seems rather bulky...
  7. J

Wanted - Nora / El Speleo / Scurion etc

After accidentally chucking away my Scurion is anyone flogging a similar style replacement? Ta Jamie
  8. J

Lost Ecrin Roc and Scurion - Devis Mine Swaledale

White Petzl helmet with a battered Scurion and some Princeton tech dive torches put down whilst getting changed yesterday and now sadly vanished? Not a popular place for cavers so I suspect it?s gone for good but if anyone comes across one for sale?
  9. J

Rob Dalby

As many will by now know, sadly Rob Dalby of the CDG and former YSS member has died following a diving accident off the Scilly Isles. He has not yet been located but is not alive. Rob and myself along with Colin Pryer joined the CDG together almost 20 years ago and he was an active caver and...
  10. J

Sleets Gill - Rather specific request for info

Morning, Does anyone know if a Topo survey exists for Sleets Gill? Alternatively during flood conditions when the main cave is filled, does anyone have any idea of the distance from the water surface at the entrance to reach a point which would create airspace throughout the main passage. Eg...
  11. J

Short bit of archive rescue footage

https://youtu.be/Swrr1aG8XZo Anyone recognise anyone or the location? I thought perhaps Jim Eyre on the phone? I never met him but the nose seems familiar?
  12. J

Wanted - Nova battery box lid...

It?s a long shot but if anyone happens to have a Speleotechnics Nova battery box lid they?d like to replace I seem to have misplaced mine. Oops. Cheers James
  13. J

Wanted - Lots of stuff!

Hello all, Over the summer I had the thrilling experience of my house and all my caving kit washing away down the river swale and should really get round to replacing it! (Top tip-buy contents insurance if you rent) Specifically I could do with acquiring Knee pads Elbow Pads Harness and chest...
  14. J

Few old press clippings

Detached to Bentham today at work and came across a few old press clippings from cave rescue jobs they'd attended. I wonder if any of the participants are still caving today? Nice pic of Watto...
  15. J

Proposed changes to North Yorkshire's Fire cover - Please read!

Firstly I should say quite openly that I have a proffesional interest in this but I also think it's important that it's brought to the attention of cavers who cave in the dales as it will seriously impact the ability of the fire service to attend incidents such as flooding and diving incidents...
  16. J

A touch over enthusiastic with the dye....

Oops!  ::) http://m.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/11803751.Yorkshire_Dales_stream_turns_green_overnight/?ref=fbshr
  17. J

Complete set of Northern Caves (1970's)

Hello, If anyone is looking I have a full set of Northern Caves 1-5 for sale, very good condition, prices from oxfam in front page but otherwise they've never left the bookcase so no loose pages or mud! Open to offers... jamesalderson10<AT>yahoo.com Cheers JAA
  18. J

Yorkshire Film Archive - Cave Rescue

Having a bit of a wander around the internet the other day and found the full length Cave Rescue film produced by the Upper Wharfedale Team in the '60's. Not something i'd seen elsewhere so thought i would share...
  19. J

Found- Mini Q40 Pippikin Pot

Mini Q40 in Pippikin after 2nd pitch, no bulb. Anyone's?
  20. J

Poverty Gill Cave- Birkwith

Hi All, Has anyone ever visited Poverty Gill cave in the Birkwith area? It was a Gritstone find in the mid 70's. Any one any idea who was involved in its exploration? Ta