• Photography Showcase

A great selection of caving photographs to see!

Many thanks to everyone who supports this ever popular thread. Why not join in if you have taken a shot you are pleased with? I'll pop some of my favourites up in notices from time to time - to cancel the notice, clck the X top right.

Click here to see more stunning shots

Search results

1. B

β/γ radiation in caves and mines

“Prepping community”. Yet another search to learn something new. What’s wrong with hiding behind a door? Just hope I can unscrew one in time, but there’s nothing like a deadline to concentrate the mind.
  2. B

Ah. Understood.
  3. B

Sorry to add confusion. Ventilation will reduce levels, but it depends where the air has been, enroute to the location of interest. In a previous life I was involved in room and pillar mining and the ventilation circuits were long and a considerable area of exposed rock was traversed. Even with...
  4. B

Just to add, ventilation rates aren’t necessarily a panacea.
  5. B

Do take the time to do a literature review, as you’ll then see why alpha particles (or rather, the dose/damage they contribute) are of particular interest and concern in a poorly ventilated underground environment. It may not be as much fun as playing with a meter, but you’ll get a better idea...
  6. B

Underground Golf!

That very one. A Mr Grossman was the dentist. Rubber apron beloved by abattoir workers, and I’ll leave the comparison there.
  7. B

Underground Golf!

I just wonder at what point we start to (and I don’t want to upset anyone by this) “fetishise” heritage. Perhaps the wrong word, but make it into some sort of religious relic. For sure we should value the past and see what it can teach us (in the broadest terms), but if every bit of ‘heritage’...
  8. B

Underground Golf!

Or, void created by extraction of slate for economic reasons, being repurposed for economic reasons. If it puts bread on the tables in a (relatively) impoverished region, great stuff.
  9. B

Filthy Edna 2

I appreciate that there hasn?t been a lot of activity over the last 12 months, but wondered if anyone could offer an opinion on the Edna 2 (preferably someone who has one!). I can only find one reference on here and one from the States. Particularly interested in whether the lack of a ?spot? is...