Search results

1. S

Standing stones in grykes around Ingleborough

That's rather impressive. Reminds me of one of my best friends whose memorial service I attended yesterday - Bob Treadgold, caver in the 70s, very good engineer and one of the nicest people I've ever met. Professionally, he had a huge reputation. His non-professional engineering legacy included...
  2. S

Can anyone lend us an underwater drill?

As far as I understand these things, it might work. However, there may be a difference between an air bubble curtain in a wide open space and a confined one where sound can rebound from the walls....
  3. S

Can anyone lend us an underwater drill?

Caveat - I've done very little diving and am theorising, therefore this may be complete rubbish... However, I would expect a diving mask with ears and earplugs to give some protection from sound transmitted through the ear drum but it might be less effective at dealing with sound transmitted...
  4. S

Jon Buchan

Good man, good doctor, very good caver. I used him as an exemplar of what I should aspire to and got nowhere close.
  5. S

Armchair cave speculation

This suggests you're looking at a Two Countries System - that IS ambitious!
  6. S

That may be true, but they're all 'Somersets' which doesn't really sound like a three counties system (and, anyway, why should Mendip have to copy the North?). It would still be one hell of a cave....
  7. S

OK, being really, really speculative. As far as I can see, there are possible links between Rickford and Cheddar catchments around Ubley Hill and Pinetree Pots. If you believe the historical water traces, areas around Waldegrave Swallet may drain to Rodney Stoke Rising, crossing drainage from...
  8. S

Out of curiosity, is there a continuous strip of limestone between Rowberrow and Reads Cavern? My father used to speculate that at different periods water from Dolebury Warren could have flowed east, towards Langford/Rickford and west, towards Banwell. If so, there could be fossil passages...
  9. S

If you're talking of Mendip caves near pubs, the Banwell catchment has huge potential. There used to be a very good pub near Swan Inn Swallet at Rowberrow - hence the name - and a rather eccentric pub in Churchill, close to Rowberrow Swallet. The only glimpse of the cave thus far is at the...
  10. S

Temporary cave camp toilets

When we were in Peru, we were adopted by a dog known as Blanco who supplemented his diet by scarfing up any human faeces he could find. You had two choices: bury them very, very deep or wait for Blanco to solve the problem. The most important thing was not to let him lick you....
  11. S

One word to describe caving....

What about 'measureless'?
  12. S

One word to describe caving....

Engrossing, enthralling, life-enhancing? Or, life-changing, but that could be taken in more than one way... Thought I think rm128's 'exhilarating' may be better
  13. S

Nare River TV Program

The book has arrived - very efficient service! It's full of spectacular, beautiful photographs of wonderful caves. Highly recommended for these alone. It's a little light on exploratory detail and some of the English translations are a little eccentric, but overall, it's very inspiring. My main...
  14. S

Simple Cave Video With TG 6

That fits with what I think I remember...
  15. S

Nare River TV Program

I'm waiting for my copy... In response to Pony, we didn't get any movie film of the grapnel in use in Nare. There was a bit of film on the surface, some at the foot of the entrance shaft and a very small amount underground but (a) I don't think grapnels were ever involved and (b) I'm not sure it...
  16. S

Simple Cave Video With TG 6

I assume you didn't go down the Wet Way to reach the Old Grotto? It's a very long time since I last did Swildons but it looked to me as if one of your shots showed an almost sumped, and very intimidating Lavatory Pan (approached from downstream).
  17. S

Should we tax our cows for farting

There was a legal case many years ago in which a vet inserted a tube into a cow to bypass an intestinal obstruction and, being a bit of a show-off, lit the emerging gas with his cigarette lighter. The flame was impressive, the cow panicked and ran into a barn full of hay which promptly caught...
  18. S

Nare River TV Program

There were also a couple of articles in the Sunday Express magazine which showed Dave Gill with the grapnel launcher and several people floundering in very bad-tempered water.
  19. S

β/γ radiation in caves and mines

Thanks BetterGeiger, that's a really useful summary.
  20. S

An unusual rescue...

I thought the term Coasteering was first coined by John Cleare or Edward Pyatt in the late 1960s (see ' A Climber in the West Country') long before it became applied to the commercial activity.