Search results

1. C

Croesor Rhossyd again

If darkness, mist or visibility on exiting is going to be an issue at the time you leave Rhossyd then it's a better bet to leave via adit 9 and walk down to Tanygrisiau. It's a slight challenge going back the other way unless you either know the route well or are good with night navigation.
  2. C

An interesting, although fairly loose parallel to the Open Access Caving debate

Who on this thread is asking for banning or restrictions on anyone? The point is being made to OPEN reservoirs for certain groups. This is a direct copy of the model cavers use to access caves on problem land.
  3. C

I have clearly not restricted myself. I wild swim, open swim and explore the countryside. My point is it's not reasonable to demand everywhere there is water should be turned into a beach. I have also not claimed Kinder is unspoilt. It's a man made reservoir! The wetlands where I do work were...
  4. C

Are fans of access to the outdoors for the masses wanting to apply that ethos everywhere? If a caving club can negotiate access to private land to enter a cave, then why is it fair that that access is just for cavers? Shouldn't dog-walkers, ramblers and families wanting picnics share that access...
  5. C

I literally just switched to the BBC news website to see this as the first story. (I know it's not a reservoir). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-61257378
  6. C

I'm willing to concede that even the content of the signage itself now seems contentious. While looking into the Scottish situation, I noticed two distinct groups came up often in reports of drownings. One was the very young and the other was those whose first language may not be English and...
  7. C

Is that everywhere though Topcat? I read that there were signs and/or restrictions in places that were considered dangerous. Dams, locks etc.
  8. C

So we've established that there is a large issue with litter, and it's not any one group that litters. The comment about locking up the great unwashed in their tenements seems moot now that it's all classes and types that litter. Neither is education an issue. The two recent occasions I have...
  9. C

I got those two terms from a wild swimming website. TBH the Guardian story may be misleading as it mentions wild swimming, perhaps confusing that term with open water swimmers? I have happily done both, but I am still unsure what this group are trying to achieve by their protest. It seems they...
  10. C

I thought wild swimming was all about having a dip in "secret places" and "hidden gems". Getting public approved access seems counter to the ethos of it. I would have thought that locals having a dip in the reservoir out of obvious times would go almost unnoticed by the owners. Do wild swimmers...
  11. C

Ukraine

Presumed dead. There was reports by CNN of a bombardment lasting most of the morning. Since then there's been released satellite images of Snake Island. It seems to have not been flattened as expected and the Russian bombardment seems to have not been as devastating as first feared. Either the...
  12. C

ID cave near Tintern?

Hi,     we found this vertical shaft in the woods above Tintern, Wales. It looked to be a fissure about 20ft deep, but unsure if it lead off anywhere below. I'm new to caves and wondered whether this is just left open as a bat access or what?