Search results

1. S

Ogof Craig a Ffynnon rescue practice

SMWCRT are holding a rescue practice on Sat 1st October in the entrance series as far as the 2nd choke pitch. So this date might not be the best of times to pay a visit to the cave for a sporting trip as it could be quite busy. Parking has been arranged for the team members at a nearby village...
  2. S

Draenen & PDCMG

PDCMG have had a bit of a tidy up of their website recently it seems. Below is the link for EGM concerning revising their entrances policy. This is a physical meeting and you can't attend it by Zoom etc. https://pdcmg.org/2022/09/02/entrance-policy-egm/
  3. S

Camping on NRW land, complaint received by CAL

NRW would just love to install more parking meters. They're doing exactly that in the form of ANPR cameras at places like Newborough Forest, Coed y Brenin, and soon arriving at Moel Famau. They've been told by their paymasters, the Welsh Government, to become more financially self-sufficient...
  4. S

Camping on NRW land, complaint received by CAL

Regarding Gwydir Forest, there is a traffic research project (NRW, Nat Park, County Councils) going on post-Covid about traffic on minor roads and camping, motorhomes etc in this area, as well as overwhelming day usage. The more observant of you will have noticed rubber strip Metrocount vehicle...
  5. S

Draenen & PDCMG

Some revised draft minutes for the last PDCMG meeting have just come in from Sue Mabbett to correct various spelling and grammatical and other mistakes - but not all, it seems, including the wrong weekday given for the previous meeting (it took place on a Tuesday not a Sunday as stated) and...
  6. S

Draenen & PDCMG

Just come in from Sue Mabbett tonight 16th Aug... "Hi PDCMG Clubs, committee and interested parties I have attached the draft minutes from our meeting on 22nd Jun 2022. Apologies for delay I had almost completed them in early July but then I went off to France on holiday and I have only just...
  7. S

Craig a'Ffynnon access

So, someone phones me to report the vandalism. I go to the cave on the way home from work. I can't get it open as both the old locking bar and the old padlock are damaged. The gate is jammed 5 inches ajar and it won't move either way. Shall I just leave it like that? No, I went back to work...
  8. S

Craig a'Ffynnon access

The new locking bar is the same, in principle, as the old round bar version which got damaged in the vandalism incident and had to be replaced. Presumably Old Ruminator has not been in the cave during the past 10+ years so as to have grasped the principle of it. Prior to that the padlock went...
  9. S

Craig a'Ffynnon access

Well, the new lock of 18th July didn't last long before commanding unwanted attention. Someone has given it a good hammering last weekend, and also they bent the internal locking bar beyond redemption which jammed the gate in a semi-open position, i.e. with only a 5 inch gap, by means of sledge...
  10. S

Ogof Cnwc acess key 🔑

From 18th July 2022 your Ogof Cnwc key will also get you into Ogof Craig a'Ffynnon (OCAF) when the old OCAF key gets replaced.
  11. S

Craig a'Ffynnon access

CCC has decided to change the padlock. There are 30+ official keys in circulation mainly held by clubs and going back maybe 20 years. The new lock will be the same key as fits Ogof Cnwc (the Daren Cilau No.2 entrance) itself in use for 10+ year and should be installed sometime on Monday 18th...
  12. S

Draenen & PDCMG

They finally got there: https://hwel.zoom.us/j/96021173073 Password: 966572
  13. S

Draenen & PDCMG

With less than 10 hours to go to the meeting, this has just come in from Sue Mabbett, PDCMG secretary, with typos corrected: "As per my e-mail of 7th June, our next General Meeting is tonight at 7.30pm via Zoom. A member of our group with a Zoom account has offered to set up a Zoom meeting...
  14. S

Draenen & PDCMG

The date is not provisional. Attached is the agenda. It is definitely happening. With 30 hours left to go, there is still no publicly available Zoom meeting link. I can't help but get the feeling the PDCMG want to minimise the attendance at this meeting, given item 3(a) particularly.
  15. S

Draenen & PDCMG

Apparently so. I have received emails about the meeting with an agenda. It is by Zoom but no link to the meeting has been circulated. There is no publicity for it on the PDCMG.ORG website where the most recent 'news' items refer to 2021.
  16. S

Ogof Cnwc acess key 🔑

You can also get an Ogof Cnwc key for the day locally from me as an alternative to setting up a key collection from Whitewalls. See the contacts list at cambriancavingcouncil.org.uk The local cave management committee is in effect in limbo having been un-friended by NRW, albeit nicely done with...
  17. S

Dye tracing equipement : Le fluorim?tre STREAM

The photos in the links above show bright green rivers and ditches - that was a quite a dose of fluorescein. Turning a whole river bright green must be great fun, but it's a bit unsubtle. Does anyone have experience of using fluorescein in a caving context at very low concentrations below what...
  18. S

New stage of CROW access campaign

Sadly, the above forum post is the first I've heard of a 30% (or other specific) chance of success from the QC for the case. The BCA CROW working party has been run at arm's length. I've never met, spoken to, nor been in any meeting with this QC, yet I'm a member, or was, of the BCA group, and...
  19. S

The Consent Order 8/12/2021 which ended the case without a hearing was as follows: "The Welsh Government [undertakes]: A. To consider reform of access arrangements for caving in Wales in accordance with the provisions and timetable set out in the Schedule hereto; and, B. To provide full reasons...
  20. S

The written response of the Welsh Government to the BCA's representations paper arrived on 1st April which was discussed by BCA Council on April 5th. To recap, the case was compromised and so did not have a final hearing. The compromise was that BCA would send in a representations paper...