Search results

1. DCA

DCA Training Events Oct 22 - Jan 23

The DCA workshops coming up over the coming months are listed in the attached PDF. Contact the DCA Training Officer to book.
  2. DCA

Rowter Hole fence repair - volunteers needed

DCA have agreed to re-fence the Rowter Hole Shaft. The current one has been there for nearly fifteen years and is showing signs of disrepair. We are planning to do this on Thursday 6th October 2022 and are looking for volunteers to help us. I know it’s a midweek day and most people will have to...
  3. DCA

DCA Council Meeting - 24/10/2022

The agenda for the DCA online Open Council Meeting on Monday 24th October 2022, 7.30 pm to 9.30 pm is now online. It can be found at the following link: https://thedca.org.uk/home/meetings Anybody who wants to attend the meeting and would like me to forward the joining instructions, please...
  4. DCA

Holme Bank Chert Mine - Car park clearing DCA request for help

It now looks like we've got a willing volunteer with a strimmer and brushcutter heading there after work on Friday. If anyone wants to assist them then instead of Saturday then please let us know. I'll be at a TSG meeting then so won't be along to help myself. We'll likely abandon the Saturday...
  5. DCA

The Derbyshire Caver, No. 156

After some hiatus, the latest edition of The Derbyshire Caver has finally been released. The print copies have already been posted out and should have arrived by now - if you are a subscriber and don't receive yours, please let us know. Many thanks to the contributors who provided additional...
  6. DCA

Holme Bank Chert Mine - Car park clearing DCA request for help

Following the work on the new gates installed at the mine detailed in another post here, DCA want to finish off this job by having a bit of a gardening session in the parking area. We are hoping to do this on the 6th of August. If you can lend your help for a couple of hours that morning, please...
  7. DCA

Holme Bank Chert Mine access update

There has been a minor change to the access at Holme Bank Chert Mine in Bakewell. Pre-booking (or calling in during working hours) is still required, it's just the method of opening the gates has changed. The entrances have had a significant gate upgrade at request of the landowner, who was...
  8. DCA

Eldon Hole - Pull Through Cord Damaged

We are delighted to report that the Eldon Hole pull-up route is back open again. Nigel Berry, Larry Fatcat, Neil Muir & Jon Fowler from the Peak Caving Club completed the climb yesterday using some of Larry's 25-year old original anchors and new stainless anchors and sash cord funded by DCA...
  9. DCA

Help today near Hope (1/6/22)

Full details of the project here: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?threads/pindale-end-mine.29565/
  10. DCA

Pindale End Mine

DCA volunteers were out last week in the Hope Valley working on 2 unloved mine shafts. The Pindale End mine workings have never really been on the radar of the general caving community, but they have been there and open since at least when the last caps were done during the 1990s. The 2 shafts...
  11. DCA

A few pics from today. Wonderful weather and excellent company. More details of what we've been up to will come next week when the concrete is all gone off and the new lids are bolted down.
  12. DCA

After a bit of an enforced lull in projects work due to 'real life' things keeping volunteers busy, the DCA projects crew are back at it again. 2 shafts with decaying steel lids situated very close to public rights of way are getting some TLC. We'll be pouring new concrete, setting in a belay...
  13. DCA

Morning! DCA Projects Team here. We've made a very last minute plan to go and sort a couple of shaft tops out near Hope today (1/6/22). From around lunchtime we'll be barrowing cement from a mixer about 100m up a tarmac lane. There are only 3 of us so far, but if anyone is feeling like some...
  14. DCA

DCA Council Meeting and Associated Events 21/5/2022

There are places available still on the walk, but the SRT session is closed to bookings.
  15. DCA

DCA Council Meeting and Associated Events 21/5/2022

DCA Council Meeting and Associated Events The next DCA Council Meeting will take place on Saturday 21st May 2022 at the British Caving Library, Glutton Bridge, near Buxton. This will start at 10.00 am. Following the end of the meeting around 12 noon there will be a couple of events occurring...
  16. DCA

Mandale Mine

The gated entrances to Mandale Mine have once again been giving us grief. On several occasions over the last few month there have been reports of the gates not being secured shut. The finger of blame cannot be pointed to any particular user group, however it will be all explorers that will lose...
  17. DCA

DCA Caver Training Events 2022

Caver Training Events 2022 The Derbyshire Caving Association has just listed dates for subsidised / low cost caver training workshops coming up over the next couple of months. There are a range of topics from technical to geological, so check out the list and see if anything takes your fancy...
  18. DCA

DCA Council Meeting & Activities - 21st May 2022

The next DCA Council Meeting will take place on Saturday 21st May 2022 at the British Caving Library, Glutton Bridge, near Buxton. This will start at 10.00 am. Following the end of the meeting around 12 noon there will be a couple of events occurring locally; SRT Training by the DCA?s renowned...
  19. DCA

Backup stakes for shafts

I made up some shiny new ground stakes from a 6m section of stainless steel T bar donated to us by Natural England. They are 1m long, about 10mm thick, and will probably last forever. I have already placed one near the 1981 shaft up at Snelslow, ready to use when we get a new shaft top fitted...
  20. DCA

2021 SSSI Cave Monitoring Competition Winner

Twenty years ago, in February 2002, John Gunn and John Beck submitted two reports to English Nature (now rebranded as Natural England) on the Location of special interest features in cave SSSIs, with one report on Castleton and the second on the remainder of thePeak District Area. The reports...