Search results

1. The Old Ruminator

Has Facebook Won ?

This is typical of Facebook shite. Boots on the stal. Kneeling on the fragile edge of a crystal basin. I have complained and will likely get chucked off that group.
  2. The Old Ruminator

Has Facebook Won ?

Contentious as ever. At a recent Mendip cavers club meeting the assembled worthies were asked who visited this forum. Answer -- one. Very little seems to come this way now despite recent discoveries on Mendip. Of course its all over Facebook. Perhaps its indicative of the general decline in...
  3. The Old Ruminator

Paying Homage to the Plank. The Pipe.

Not that many will remember " The Plank " with Eric Sykes. Filmed, Directed and Acted by The Old Ruminator.
  4. The Old Ruminator

Responsibility for Fixed Aids in Caves

Now totally absolved.
  5. The Old Ruminator

Just to clarify. This is not a fixed aid. Its just a very old ladder installed purely for decorative purposes. Not saying that I put it there of course but if I did I was definitely not sound of mind and have no recollection of that. A further practical usage might be a roosting platform for...
  6. The Old Ruminator

Help me out here o legal eagles. I am adding a few fixed aids in my latest project. Lets say ladders for rhe moment. Referring to fixed vertical ladder regs not surpisingly I find that I am way out on those. So questions arising -- If my fixed aid fails can I be sued now or in the future ? Of...
  7. The Old Ruminator

A Day in the Life of a Digger/Photographer

Somebody has pointed out that they dont comply with vertical ladder regulations.
  8. The Old Ruminator

For those who are scared..

"Action conquers fear"
  9. The Old Ruminator

A special thanks to my long term mate Peter Glanvill ( Mr O'Doc ). What great fun and discoveries we have made over the decades. New pals as well. Long may it continue. The big boulder in the roof we call " The Elephant " ( The elephant in the room ). We try not to talk about it.
  10. The Old Ruminator

Though not necessarily proficiant at either. Anyway to " celebrate " my 60 years in caving. Also maybe to celebrate a remarkable survival considering some events over the years. All of this from yesterday just after my 75th birthday.
  11. The Old Ruminator

Photography Showcase 3 per week limit

Self Portrait. Suffused with the warm glow from a job well done.
  12. The Old Ruminator

Photography Showcase 3 per week limit

Getting complicated.
  13. The Old Ruminator

Hypogenic Cavern Development on The Quantocks, Somerset ?

Hypogenic caverns can be totally isolated from the surface and from further cave developments. All in the Quantocks and at Cannington have been revealed by quarrying. They can also form maze caves like Holwell. It might not be enough to call the Quantocks a caving area but what we have seen here...
  14. The Old Ruminator

The huge Jackdaw Cavern at Cannington. From my log 1968. The cavern. Possibly relating in formation to Pen Park Hole at Bristol. Looking towards the boulder pile noted in the plan.
  15. The Old Ruminator

Excavating mud and boulder fill Quantocks. The entire black space was filled to the roof.
  16. The Old Ruminator

Cannington. https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?threads/an-examination-of-bones-from-cannington-somerset.25529/
  17. The Old Ruminator

Holwell Cavern entrance some years ago.
  18. The Old Ruminator

More on Holwell Cavern. https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?threads/holwell-cavern-merridge-quantock-hills-somerset.12008/
  19. The Old Ruminator

Porifera Stromatoporoidea ? Quantocks.
  20. The Old Ruminator

Cothelstone Hill Cave. Devonian slate roof over limestone.