Author Topic: starting a dig  (Read 23014 times)

Offline Ed W

• Cheddar CC, Grwp Ogofeydd Garimpeiros, Mendip CG
  • obsessive maniac
Re: starting a dig
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2014, 09:13:00 am »
Wildside very generously showed me this site on Wednesday, and I have to say it is really interesting.  It is an intermittently active sink in what appears to be the Oolitic Limestone.  A stream channel runs down to a nicely defined swallet hole with well exposed vertical hole in solid rock.  The hole is choked with woodland debris about a metre or so down, but a scaffold bar can be pushed down into this soft muck for about 2-3m.  Jason (Wildside) tells me that in wet weather moving water can be heard.

Though not in the main Mendip Carboniferous Limestone, other Jurassic Oolitic limestones have extensive cave systems (Portland, Excalibur Pot etc).  I don't know of any other karstic caves in this particular limestone, so whatever is there will be interesting!  As well as this swallet, there are several more sinks and depressions scattered around these woods.  Whilst looking around we found a pile of limestone boulders that Jason believes were part of the spoil from the excavations of a subterranean reservoir very close to the sinks.  Interestingly some of these have stal on them, does this mean that the excavations broke into some form of cavity?

This is the dig site with Wildside.  The bar protruding from the hole is about 4m long in total.

Scalloped rock in the swallet

stal on the boulders from the reservoir excavations
Size matters not, look at me Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not...

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2014, 09:31:39 am »
Thats a right interesting hole :thumbsup:, suggest some sort of barrier on the uphill side to stop landslip into the hole. Has the landowner poser been sorted yet?. Keep us posted :) :thumbsup:
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Cartwright26

• Weather forecast for tonight: dark. DSS commitee member, Devon CRO equipment officer
  • menacing presence
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »
Id be quite happy assisting you on a dig even though im in Devon so would only make it once or twice a month, let me know
Idiot seeks village

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2014, 06:02:09 pm »
Ive been digging a little today and have moved 8 bucket loads of earth and things are looking promising. going to have to stop digging for a while though due to how deep its getting and the worry of the surrounding bank slipping in and burying me!!!

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2014, 04:32:53 pm »
I have been up to the hole today after some time away letting the water do its work its getting bigger and im going to dig to the left of the pole in the picture as i can see a fair way in now and its body sized and still draughting.The spoil in the hole is just some earth and mainly leaves that have rotted down so its easy to dig with my cut down army shovel.

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2014, 06:52:11 am »
At long long last we have found the owner so maybe just maybe fingers xed etc we may be able to do somthing exciting or find somthing exciting!

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2014, 09:24:59 am »
I have just come back from a wander up to the woods with my dog and there is fog issuing from the fissures around dig site very interesting as I have never seen that before.   

Offline Andy55

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2015, 08:22:44 pm »
This is not far from my regular hunting area, any chance of a quick look if you can take me? I am in the area / proximity tomorrow evening (Tues 6th Jan) if you pick this up, you can call me on 07881 420048 Regards Andy If not I am down 3-4 times/month

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:17 am »
I went to the sink at the weekend and had a dig where theres a gurgling sound   it scared the s*$t out of me suddenly a fountain of water erupted about 4 feet away from me and the big pool drained very quickly by my feet.  the hole that I dug is full of debris again and the pool is refilling so have another look this weekend.   The other hole in the woods that I have been digging has opened up a bit more as well but it is getting to deep now so im going to leave it for a while until we hopefully get permission to build a cover and dig it properly.

Offline Joe90

• Is an
  • obsessive maniac
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2015, 06:28:12 pm »
Interesting stuff this is  :)
All I know is that I don't know nothing

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2017, 11:55:23 am »
An update on this very interesting hole the land owner has fenced round the shaft! I am thinking if he was approached again by a known caving club  something may be able to be sorted out  the land is owned by lady gass and if somebody is interested please message me and I will give the name of her land agent who manages the woods !

Offline wildside

• player
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2019, 02:16:44 pm »
It's a bigger deeper hole now.  draughting and a waterfall in the distance

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2019, 04:06:00 pm »
An update on this very interesting hole the land owner has fenced round the shaft! I am thinking if he was approached again by a known caving club  something may be able to be sorted out  the land is owned by lady gass and if somebody is interested please message me and I will give the name of her land agent who manages the woods !

Umm. Lady Gass is a bit remote from such things and her land agent not too helpful I hear. You might do better by approaching the tenant if there is one. We have a site on her land and the previous tenant was on the point of letting us dig but then he died. Still on the back burner.