Author Topic: Next trip - Alum  (Read 2694 times)

Offline MPC-Robin

Next trip - Alum
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:29 am »
Hi All,

We need a leader for Alum to pick up the ropes etc ?

Do we have any volunteers ?

Or would you rather I communicated through email as normal ?

Robin

;D

Offline zaphod79

• player
Re: Next trip - Alum
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:39:22 pm »
It's probably best to let people know by email as well, as not everybody will use this.  I can't pick up ropes next week, as I away with work all week, but I would like to do the trip as would Fran. 

I wonder if it is worth combining this with a novice trip to long churns.

Nathan

Offline Troglophile

• MPC
    • Morley Potholing Club
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »
I know Pete's already collected the tackle for the trip but I'll pick up some ropes for Diccan as well seeing as water levels are very low at the moment and the forecast is good.

Mike

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »
Hmmmmm
but I'll pick up some ropes for Diccan as well seeing as water levels are very low at the moment

I wouldn't bank on it; there was quite a bit of rain last week, so I guess water levels will be around 'normal' than very low.

Offline Troglophile

• MPC
    • Morley Potholing Club
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:00:54 pm »
These are the latest river levels for the Ribble (click on river name):

River Ribble

Currently the Ribble at Settle is 27cm depth and the normal range is between 9cm and 1.8m.  The highest reading ever taken at this location was 2.76m.

(Figures from Environment Agency website).

Mike

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:02:57 am »
Hi, I guess this must be part of the Morley Pothole Club thread; I just read your Welcome page and looked at  your background – sounds good, but I was intrigued by this:
all ropes have a fully documented history and receive regular inspection and testing.

How do you test your ropes? Mostly testing seems to involve destroying (part of) them.

Offline MPC-Robin

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
Excellent trip yesterday - Alum South-East & Diccan exchange.  ;D

Offline zaphod79

• player
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »
I agree, fantastic trip

Offline Troglophile

• MPC
    • Morley Potholing Club
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:53 am »
How do you test your ropes? Mostly testing seems to involve destroying (part of) them.

Hi

Our drop testing is carried out by submitting 2.5 metre samples of rope to the BCA along with all relevant data i.e. age, make, type, usage, storage, washing details etc.  This is done after about 5 years of use (or sooner if the rope has had heavy useage) by providing an end sample and then re-marking that rope with it's new reduced length.  In addition, any rope that is retired from use will have a centre and end section submitted for testing.  Retirement may be due to obvious wear and tear, age of rope, number of trips it's been used on or following the results of drop tests.

Since 1989 we've been keeping detailed records for all ropes - make, length, diameter, purchase date and trip details - dates, cave/pothole name and number of people using the rope on that trip.  New ropes are purchased as required to maintain our stock levels of the various length ropes.

Mike

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:49 pm »
Excellent; I think that Bob Mehew wants that sort of deatail to see if he  can come to any conclusions about wear and tear and rope life.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal