Author Topic: This week we are off to Youd's Level, Matlock, Derbyshire  (Read 2064 times)

Offline zaphod79

• player
This week we are off to Youd's Level, Matlock, Derbyshire
« on: June 13, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »
Our next MPC trip this coming Sunday is to Youd's Level near Matlock in Derbyshire.  The trip will involve an 81m entrance pitch (266ft) in a 1.4m x 0.75m wide shaft into the main system 'coffin level'.  The main coffin level is the longest such example in Derbyshire (365m, (1200ft) with alternating sections of sideways stooping, walking and crawling before emerging from a manhole in a children's playground by the public toilets near Matlock!  The exit was previously marred by pollution problems from the toilets (thankfully now cleaned up by Dave Ottewell (ex-MPC) of the environment agency) but make sure that any open cuts are well protected just to avoid Weil's disease etc (rat droppings still being found).

Full SRT competence, kneepads and elbow pads required (as well as your normal caving attire!).  The only slight hitch is that the longest MPC rope is 75m and the pitch is 81m!  At the moment I'm hoping to get hold of an EPOC 90m-ish rope but if not, be prepared to pass a knot on the way down!

After hopefully surviving the various underground challenges it's envisaged that a jar or two in the 'Thorn Tree' in Matlock would be on the cards:

http://www.thorntreeatmatlock.co.uk/

We'll be meeting in the 'Tor Cafe' on the A6 Cromford junction at 10:00am (small white wooden building near the traffic lights).

Tor Cafe: http://www.bolsoverwheelers.org/CafeReviews/cafereview032.html  Derby Road, Cromford, DE4 3RP.

Excellent value - only £2.80 for Egg, Bacon, Sausage, Beans, Tomato.  Click HERE for a map (arrow marks the cafe - zoom in /out as required).  Free Sunday parking on Mill Road just beyond cafe (signposted 'Station' and 'Arkwright's Mill').

So far, those expressing an interest at last night's pub meeting are: Nathan, Fran, Roger, Pete (+ possibly SRT experienced friend), Anne and myself.  If you'd like to come along then let me know by Saturday so that we know to look out for you.

Cheers.

Mike - MPC

Offline owd git

• forum hero
Re: This week we are off to Youd's Level, Matlock, Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »
45M of rope will reach the bottom of gentlewomans shaft, Which shaft were you planing to descend?
O. G.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:01 pm »
Afterthought ; if you are doing daylight or another shaft gis a shout I have up to 100M. rope you may want to borrow ( I live @ matlock Bath. :thumbsup: )
See a bruised and battered caver in 'trip reports'
Owd Git.

Offline zaphod79

• player
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
Thanks

Offline Troglophile

• MPC
    • Morley Potholing Club
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:35:32 pm »
Had a great trip on Sunday - down Deep Shaft then up into the 'Old Jant' workings and had a good poke around as far as Clay Shaft before exiting Youd's Level.

Went through a couple of short flat-out sections (dry) at the start of Old Jant mine (N.E. side) - are these the same as featured in this youtube clip only in wetter times?

Thanks again 'owd git' for calling by to have a chat on Sunday.

Cheers.

Mike

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »
No, they are well up-hill of the flat out section  past old Jants, glad you all had a good trip. come and do the full through trip some time :thumbsup:
O. G.

Offline zaphod79

• player
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »
Zaphod79 did not enjoy the flat out crawls, but the coffin level was spectacular as was the shaft, even though I got my leg wet at the bottom.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal