Moss

Inskia

Dunno as I haven't got a TV, but do get yourself to Peak Cavern & visit Moss Chamber for yourself. Sporting trip aside, it's a rather sad & beautiful place to reflect on our own mortality.

martinm

better still get yourself a copy of Dave Webb's excellent DVD ' The Neil Moss Story' Better than the TV any day!  (y)

Ralph

I agree fully with the comment on Dave's "Fight for Life". There have been a number of reports on the incident over the years most of them inaccurate or downright incorrect (eg Wikipaedia).

At least 4 cavers managed to reach Neil (amazingly 3 of them, all in their 70's, are still caving) and  all three of them were interviewed by Dave in addition to several others cavers who were also involved in various ways.

If you want an accurate account this DVD will provide it.

Incidentally "Inside Out" didn't make it clear that the final minute or so of the interview refers to the attempt to extract Neil's body that took place a couple of weeks later. For some reason this got little press coverage except in Paris Match, but that's another story.

martinm

Ralph said:
I agree fully with the comment on Dave's "Fight for Life".

Soz, got the name of the DVD wrong.  :( Highly recommended though all the same. I think Ralph & Bob Toogood were interviewed at length on it. Very moving story...

langcliffe

Ralph said:
There have been a number of reports on the incident over the years most of them inaccurate or downright incorrect (eg Wikipaedia

You can always do the social thing, and correct the Wikipedia entry.

Inskia

Agree that Dave's DVD "Fight for Life" is a very balanced and considerate account, & makes for excellent viewing. Highly recommended.

(Doesn't involve getting cold, wet or having to squeeze through that awkward horizontal rifty bit either.... BTW here's a friend's vid of a tourist trip we did there a while back)

Peak Cavern Caving Trip Feb 2010

grahams

I remember following the Neil Moss rescue attempts on the telly when I was a kid. The BBC described it graphically although not too accurately according to the Eyre/Frankland book on cave rescue.
Great video but please shoot the synth player.

Ralph

grahams said:
I remember following the Neil Moss rescue attempts on the telly when I was a kid. The BBC described it graphically although not too accurately according to the Eyre/Frankland book on cave rescue.
Great video but please shoot the synth player.

It's ages since I read this book and I don't have a copy.
I did read the coroners inquest report some months ago and from memory (it's very lengthy and heavy going) was surprised to findat least one minor "error" in that.

martinm

Lovely chamber, horrible route to it. Don't think I'll bother visiting it in my lifetime. It's amazing they managed to get so many people there during the rescue attempt!  :eek: Respect... Great video, by the way! (And I liked the music;-)  (y)

Persephone

Cheers for the video :clap: Have to admit that the down hill head first squeeze doesnt look that appealing to me though :unsure:

pwhole

It's not as bad as it looks in reality - I shat myself the first time I saw it, but it's quite easy to feed yourself through - it's landing on your hands that's the tricky part. God knows how they got all those tanks through on the rescue attempt though - still amazes me.

Incidentally, I'm a bit of a spelling pedant, and it drives me crazy that the RIP inscription scratched into the wall at the shaft is spelled 'Niel Moss'. Couldn't some kind of correctly-spelled plaque be installed instead? Or am I the only one that's ever noticed?

Mind you, last year I voted in a local election and at the top of my voting card was the statement 'Reprsentation of the Peoples Act'. Every card in the building had that error on it, and the returning officer was a bit gobsmacked as (you guessed it) I was the only person who'd noticed. My query as to whether the Act was actually enforceable if mispelled didn't receive a reply...

grahams

pwhole said:
Mind you, last year I voted in a local election and at the top of my voting card was the statement 'Reprsentation of the Peoples Act'. Every card in the building had that error on it, and the returning officer was a bit gobsmacked as (you guessed it) I was the only person who'd noticed. My query as to whether the Act was actually enforceable if mispelled didn't receive a reply...
Surely you mean two errors ...

martinb

Persephone said:
Cheers for the video :clap: Have to admit that the down hill head first squeeze doesnt look that appealing to me though :unsure:

It's the muddy bank that's a bit hairy on the way down.........weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Splat.  :LOL:

The trip to Moss Chamber is well worth undertaking. The Eyehole is neither tight not too difficult, just requires the right technique. Moss Chamber is a beautiful spot. There is a lot of very interesting caving beyond - Anniversary Hall. Various digging prospects on Faucet Rake but quite remote given the nature of the way in. (Unless a surface route in was engineered  ;)).

D.