Author Topic: St Cuthberts Swallet - 12th December 2012  (Read 796 times)

Offline dave_the_cave

• obsessive maniac
    • dave_the_cave's blog
St Cuthberts Swallet - 12th December 2012
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:46 pm »
who: Dave G, Tim T, George W,Steve B, Katherine S, Martin G (BEC), Stuart G(BEC)
where: St Cuthberts Swallet
when: 12th December 2012

St Cuthberts Swallet - 12th December 2012

We snapped up an offer of a St Cuthberts trip with the BEC from Martin G who arranged for stupot to be our guide
(inspired choice given our last meeting). This was the first trip for most of the party except for Katherine and myself.
I had not been for years as it was always so difficult to get a leader - it has changed now with the online application process. Katerine had been once before over a year ago and she was enticed out of semi-caving-retirement (climbing is her life) because she enjoyed it so much last time. She did not enjoy climbing in her wellies.
Steve, George and Tim loved the experience whereas I was cursing the entrance rift and swearing about having to lose some weight.
Our party was too large and I was cold before I started climbing the entrance rift. Someone kicked a rock down on me when I was in the rift
so I lost another one of my lives but luckily I was well over to the right and not in the direct line down.

One of our BEC guides talking with George

I followed Stuart down to the entrance rift. He set up a ladder for the return and virtually dropped. I went down to the right
hoping it would not be tight - and had to wiggle down under gravity for the middle part. I would not enjoy the return especially as
we were warned that it would be a wet climb as the water was finding a way down.

Martin G was just behind me

Eventually Tim arrives

Steve

one of the first of the formations

Katherine in a pickle after trying a squeeze suggested by Martin

The formations improve dramatically

Steve B and Katherine listen to the story of the memorial

Great trip - it was good to be down again and to discover that you can plan and arrange your own trips into St Cuthberts and are not just restricted to the same tourist route.

A good evening thanks to our BEC guides

Offline Dingley Dell

• player
Re: St Cuthberts Swallet - 12th December 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »
Was a great trip, thanks to Stu and Martin.  I want to go back for a longer trip and see more

Offline Stupot

• Keep your distance -
  • forum hero
  • BEC - Everything to Excess!!
Re: St Cuthberts Swallet - 12th December 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves.

Stu.
"Keep on Digging - Jrat 2008."

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/