Author Topic: Charterhouse 19/1/13  (Read 678 times)

Offline bagpuss

• obsessive maniac
Charterhouse 19/1/13
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:29:56 pm »
I've been wanting to visit Charterhouse cave since I started caving, but arranging trips is never that easy. Not having a car is generally a bit restrictive as it seems cheeky to organise a leader trip without any transport. Finding people willing to go to Charthouse was also an issue too.

Finally one was organised though, Scott kindly agreed to do the driving and Dave K agreed to lead us round the cave. Life seemed against me as I got ill not long before the trip then there was heavy snowfall the day before. Will medicine from the doctor and reassurances from Dave that the roads weren't too bad we headed off to Mendip armed with a shovel and road just in case.

Roads were actually fine thanks to the local farmers. We didn't bother trying to get down the snow filled lane of the farm to park and instead parked in the GB layby.

Dave K seemed to have picked up the BDCC calamity bug and realised he'd left his furry at home, he stoically agreed to do the trip in his trousers and fleece! We had a lovely snowy walk through the untouched snowy fields to the cave entrance.

This report is essentially going to be a photographic report as my memory of the route isn't that great. It had been a while since I'd been caving, and I was feeling under the weather so I spent allot of the trip making sure I was concentrating on moving through the cave safely rather than where we went. I'd love to go back for another trip of the same section of the cave
(we just did the old bits) 

We were a bit worried if we'd make it through the squeeze as Scott is quite tall. He made it through with so little bother I asked Dave later on when we were going to get to the difficult squeeze (which we'd already done!)

I am a bit fan of small formations and Charterhouse has them in bucket loads, Dave pointed out lots of different lots of helictites which were amazing. He even told us the theories of how they are formed which was even better :)

Mud splatter

Cave peals, so tiny and amazing

Feel so lucky to see such special things

Ganged up on

Snow angel!

Winter Wonderland Burrington Combe

A huge thanks to Dave K for being an excellent guide of the cave, expertly leading us through, giving help as to how to pass the tight bits, information about the cave system, guidance about the vunerable sections and even warning us to move out the way so we didn't get a soaking when a puddle in a crawl overflowed.

Would love to go back as see more :)

(sorry the snaps aren't great, didn't stop to faff with lighting really)

Offline Dingley Dell

• player
Re: Charterhouse 19/1/13
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:03:26 pm »
It was a great trip, so I'm glad we took a chance and braved the roads (which turned out to be mostly fine).  The thing I loved about Charterhouse (or at least the bits we saw) was that all the pretty stuff is so close to hand that you can sit down next to it and have a really good look  :thumbsup:

I think the photos are pretty good myself!

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
Re: Charterhouse 19/1/13
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:18:42 pm »
Yup - nice photos indeed!
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"