Author Topic: East Twin Swallet - 19th June 2013  (Read 846 times)

Offline dave_the_cave

• obsessive maniac
    • dave_the_cave's blog
East Twin Swallet - 19th June 2013
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:53 pm »
who: Dave G, Scott W, Tim T
where: East Twin Swallet
when: 19th June 2013
my photo album
SBSS dig history
MCRA site details

First trip to East Twin Swallet

This was Tim and Scott's first trip into East Twin swallet. It had been a long time since I had ventured into it and
had stopped at the squeeze that is no more. Both Tim and Scott were keen and had made copies of the survey. Whereas
I was relatively dragging my feet - expecting it to be tight and horrible and short. But I was wrong this is an excellent
cave. The engineering is on a par with anything that the forest do - that is its impressive.

Here is Scott boldly climbing down into the entrance - I did not remember there being an open climb down.

Inside

Lots of engineering B&Q must have done well off the diggers (UBSS).

Dams

The winch

Scott led the way over to Spar pot followed by Tim while I was last. It did not look to be loose anymore. We had seen warnings but it seemed
okay now.

Tim and Scott at the bottom of the main rift - or rather a little climb down at its bottom - before cutting back to a little crawl (the tube)

I am not really sure how far we got - the survey in mendip underground is difficult to understand - I stopped just short of the hairpin bend
whereas Tim and Scott continued on to a split in the passage that rejoins and creates a little loop. They crawled down both passages and met
to look into another chamber but then returned to me.  I could not work out where this was on the mendip underground survey.

The sump - we visited on our return

A formation on the way out!?!

We decided the hunters was too far and went Rickford and plume and feathers for an excellent pint of potholers - I am starting to make a habit of deserting butcombe!?!