Author Topic: Otter Hole: Wetsuit yes or no?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline reforma

• addict
Otter Hole: Wetsuit yes or no?
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:32:49 pm »
?

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
Re: Otter Hole: Wetsuit yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »
No.

Pretty much no-one would wear a wetsuit in there these days. A decent oversuit and furry is fine. With a PVC oversuit it's easier to wash off the mud than with a cordura, so if you have PVC, go with that.

Rhys

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »
Aye you only get wet for about 50ft going through the first sump but if you catch it at the right time you wont get anything more than your legs wet. Everything else is relatively dry, so its just a pain.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »
Aye you only get wet for about 50ft going through the first sump but if you catch it at the right time you wont get anything more than your legs wet. Everything else is relatively dry, so its just a pain.

But extremely clacky mud !! :) :)

I would go along with the PVC oversuit idea, you get very sh*t up getting in there, but after that it is something else!!
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline JeremyG

• player
  • MCG, ASS & YSS
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »
I went two weeks ago, fleece and PVC suit seems to be the best combo  :thumbsup:

Offline badger

• forum star
  • WSCC. WCC
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
what everyone else has said ;D

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »
Done it both over the years and if I had the choice now with modern materials I agree fleece and pvc over suit as you can give it a good wash off before you enter the nice bits.  I fancy a mid week trip sometime. Are they ever done nowadays as being retired it gives me more scope to contemplate a visit at a civilised time. In the past have gone in at 11 pm and come out the next morning as that's how the tides fitted! 

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »
Led trips are only offered on weekends and bank holiday Mondays from around May to September. For mid week, I suppose you'd need to arrange it directly with a friendly leader or member of one of the three local clubs (RFDCC, GSS, Hades).

Rhys