Author Topic: GB Bat passage - 30th October 2013  (Read 1596 times)

Offline dave_the_cave

• obsessive maniac
    • dave_the_cave's blog
GB Bat passage - 30th October 2013
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:24 pm »
who: Dave G, Steve B, Scott W
when: wednesday 30th october 2013
where: GB Bat passage
Roles: Steve rigged the ladder dig - thanks
Link to photo album

Photo trip to bat passage

First trip into Bat passage for Steve and Scott. Bat passage is renowned for its formations and so it was a chance
to get some photos with my new camera. We parked at the farm and walked across the fields to the cave. On our return
we were in cloud and we went around in circles a couple of times before making it back. I was able to use my camera as a very expensive compass - but I did not realise this until we had humbled ourselves. We missed the pub, but even if we had not wasted 10 minutes wandering around in cloud we would have missed the pub. Steve and Scott realised this and apparently were not lost, but were using the opportunity to look for some other cave entrances in the dark. We did not find any.

We went directly to the bridge, crossed the bridge and followed the high trail to the window, before following the oxbow to the emerge into the bottom of the 50foot waterfall. We then proceeded to rig the ladder dig. I had forgot to bring a second spreader for the bottom of the ladder, but we had three spare carabiners and these sufficed. I threw the rope through the loop of the chain and Steve did the acrobatics - climbing and rigging the top and bottom of the ladder (alternately) up the bolts and chain. We then crawled to the squeeze/duck and found our way eventually into Bat passage by following the bottom of the passage wall. It seemed further than I remembered.

The start of bat passage

The over-powering light sources that damaged my intended photos. I had not appreciated that it was possible to have too much light (or rather concentrated light)

Looking back on the start of Bat passage

If only - I can control the lighting:

But it is special everywhere

Scott and Steve would stop and wonder

Finally the crawl with the false stal floor

Before reaching the tape

and looking beyond

Sorry I have to apologise for somehow convincing myself (wrongly) we could descend to the old dig. I checked later and we should have stopped - the aim is to stop the spread of the mud from the old dig getting into bat passage and we REALLY should not have descended

There is a fantastic calcited aven

Lit up by Steve

Even the sump provides some amazing reflections

And lighting experiments

We explored some nooks

And watched the birth of a caver

Before returning and seeing a different cave on the way out

Gours we missed on the way in (somehow) - probably looking up

Continuing back

Noticing different fantastic things on the way out

Even after the squeeze/duck we shook our heads when we realised we had missed these

We descended the ladder dig and climbed up the 50 foot waterfall (finally conceding that it is a lot quicker)

Great trip pity about the pub

Dave
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:12:06 pm by dave_the_cave »

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
Re: GB Bat passage - 30th October 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:41:35 pm »
Pity about the download glitch as well ::) ::)
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline dave_the_cave

• obsessive maniac
    • dave_the_cave's blog
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:45:13 pm »
Pity about the download glitch as well ::) ::)
oops thanks - it should be fixed now

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:01:01 pm »
Yeh, my post is out of date already!! >:(

Super pics though, thanks for sharing, don't worry about the lighting, its just practice. Looks like the camera is a good bit of kit!  :thumbsup:
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Dingley Dell

• player
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:19 pm »
Good stuff Dave, the new camera is proving a good investment already.  The shots will be even better soon I'm sure.  Not sure what we did wrong though, we didn't cross any tape.... :doubt:

Offline JohnMCooper

• stalker
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:42:23 pm »
I should point out that the farm don't like you parking there if you are likely to be about after 10pm. From your description it seems you might have been. Can others please note this limit and park on the road if you are going to be late.

Offline Dingley Dell

• player
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:01:39 pm »
I should point out that the farm don't like you parking there if you are likely to be about after 10pm. From your description it seems you might have been. Can others please note this limit and park on the road if you are going to be late.

That's the first time I've heard this, and certainly whenever I've been to get a permit it hasn't been mentioned, although I didn't get them for this trip.  Doesn't say it on here either
http://www.ubss.org.uk/cave_access_mendip_wales.php#Mendip

or here http://charterhouse-caving-company.ltd.uk/caves.htm

Not doubting what you say, but it needs to be said where it counts.  Parking on that lane is a bit of a car thieves invitation, so it would be a shame if this meant that weekday evening trips were more restricted