Author Topic: Eldon Hole - Trip Report  (Read 101357 times)

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Eldon Hole - Trip Report
« Reply #425 on: November 24, 2016, 04:51:55 pm »
Excellent work - I wish I could help more often, but we've really got our hands full at the moment too. And we're not letting winter delay our schedules either - not yet, anyway.

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2016, 12:15:08 am »
Another successful trip tonight with just Mark Richardson and me. Next ring installed and 10 tubes installed about half way into the next diagonal roof section. A bit of a draught was noticed but we were both very sure we could here flowing water somewhere in the distance.

Due to work commitments the next trip is planned for 10.30am on Sunday 11th. We already have a few booked in to help but there is plenty of work to do if anyone else would like to join us in the dig, re-rigging the North and West entrance pitches with new rope and doing a bit more work stabilising the entrance crawl into the main chamber. 

Mark

Offline ianball11

• forum hero
    • http://www.huddersfieldstudent.com
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2016, 12:20:04 am »
That must be an encouraging noise!

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2016, 08:31:23 am »
That must be an encouraging noise!

Indeed.....good to hear of more work being done

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »
Big team of Badgers and York Uni down today. Mark R., Mark S., Adam W., Will S., Andy H., Ivor and me. After a full English in Yonderman's Cafe we had a good 5 hour session pulling out many many buckets of rubble (we lost count after 2 buckets).

With 3 at the bottom and 3 at the top we made light work of the hauling. With the number of doglegs in the shaft it really needs this size of team to make any real progress so if anyone would like to help out on our midweek trips it would be greatly appreciated. I'll post on here when we know when we are going next week.

Ivor arrived about half an hour after the rest of the team and so continued the stabilisation work. The sound of his rubble trundling down the slope in the dig a little worrying at times. Its looking a lot better for it and I didn't even have to put my knees down coming through the connection on the way out.

More scaffolding needs to be going in there next as the floor is another metre deeper. We must get round to measuring it again but we must be 15m deep. Can't be far to go now, I keep telling myself.

Everybody positioned at the top and half way down the shaft could feel a strong draught but there was nothing noticeable at the dig face. There is a lot of mud around though to fill all the gaps. None of us heard the river today but we did have the stereo blaring out all afternoon.

We finished off with a pint of Moonshine in the Cheshire Cheese in Castleton.

It was a good effort from the others in the team who had done a 10 hour trip installing 30 odd P bolts at the far end of Rowter Hole the day before.  I'll let the other Marks report on that one.

Mark

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #430 on: December 16, 2016, 12:11:50 am »
A good digging session tonight saw a fair few buckets out of the sharp end. Mark Richardson and me were joined by ULSA members George, Rob, Typhon and Kristian.

Although there was no draught noticeable in the actual dig, when stood about 4m above it the draught was howling up the shaft and got increasingly stronger as the night went on, the strongest I've noticed down there.

We had some big rocks coming out tonight, it could be a sign.

The night was nicely finished off with a pint of Moonshine in the Cheshire Cheese in Castleton.

Mark

Offline braveduck

• forum star
  • Digging Bucket maker.B.P.C. Little Green Men.
    • http://www.bpc-cave.org.uk
« Reply #431 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »
If you need any new buckets or Rock nets give me a shout ! ;D

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #432 on: February 10, 2017, 05:37:14 pm »
Firstly, many thanks to ah147 for supplying the Eldon Hole digging project with a further supply of scaffolding.

Mark Richardson, Mike Yaxley (on his first ever SRT trip) and me put it to good use last night by partly installing the next scaffold ring. We did some capping and part hauled the rubble up the shaft which had an excellent draught.

All set for another session next Wednesday evening (7pm) if anyone would like to join us.

Mark

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #433 on: February 11, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »
Following a telephone call from Pete O'Neil on Friday night, I joined a team of DCC cavers for a trip down Eldon Hole today, although the snowy conditions on the surface almost stopped us driving up Eldon Lane.

After the DCC members had been up to see the Sword of Damocles we hauled all the rubble we left at the bottom of the dig shaft and re-rigged the West route with new rope, it needed it.

An excellent trip finished off nicely with a pint in the Wanted Inn.

Next trip on Wednesday evening.

Mark

Offline Mike Wood

• regular
« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2017, 11:16:16 am »
Nice one - good to see your reports, you'll crack it this year  :thumbsup:

Offline Tangent_tracker

• DCC
  • player
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2017, 09:56:57 pm »
Following a telephone call from Pete O'Neil on Friday night, I joined a team of DCC cavers for a trip down Eldon Hole today, although the snowy conditions on the surface almost stopped us driving up Eldon Lane.

After the DCC members had been up to see the Sword of Damocles we hauled all the rubble we left at the bottom of the dig shaft and re-rigged the West route with new rope, it needed it.

An excellent trip finished off nicely with a pint in the Wanted Inn.

Next trip on Wednesday evening.

Great trip Mark, what time you meeting on Wednesday?

Mark
Olly.

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2017, 10:07:11 pm »
Olly,

7pm on Wednesday evening at the top of Eldon Lane. Or at least as far up the lane as the snow will allow.

It'll be good to see you and anybody else who would like to join us.

Mark

Offline Tangent_tracker

• DCC
  • player
« Reply #437 on: February 16, 2017, 03:10:59 pm »
Olly,

7pm on Wednesday evening at the top of Eldon Lane. Or at least as far up the lane as the snow will allow.

It'll be good to see you and anybody else who would like to join us.

Mark

What happened :-p
Olly.

Offline MJenkinson

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #438 on: February 16, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »
Floor of the dig gave away underneath them and they are all alive and well, rattling around the new Sarawak chamber.

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #439 on: February 16, 2017, 03:25:33 pm »

Sorry.

We WILL be there on Sunday, meeting at Yondermans Cafe at 10am and up Eldon Lane soon after.

Mark

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #440 on: February 19, 2017, 08:19:05 pm »

Sorry.

We WILL be there on Sunday, meeting at Yondermans Cafe at 10am and up Eldon Lane soon after.

Mark

And we were there.

Big team of Mark W., Mark R., Mark S.,  Adam, Toby & Ivor.

A good 0.6m deeper after todays session. We couldn't hear any big rivers but we had a pretty strong draught coming out of the dig floor, getting stronger as the day went on. None of us had noticed it this strong before. It could be a sign.

Mark R. went home early complaining the sharp end diggers weren't filling the buckets up quick enough.

Thanks to Henry R. for meeting us in the Devonshire afterwards to drop off a couple of bags of scaffold clips for the project.

Mark

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #441 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:29 am »
It was certainly the strongest consistent draught I've felt there. Even Adam, our resident Eldon skeptic ("what are we hoping to achieve here?"), was making positive comments by the end of the day.    :thumbsup:

Offline Tangent_tracker

• DCC
  • player
« Reply #442 on: February 20, 2017, 01:34:54 pm »

Sorry.

Mark

And we were there.

Big team of Mark W., Mark R., Mark S.,  Adam, Toby & Ivor.

A good 0.6m deeper after todays session. We couldn't hear any big rivers but we had a pretty strong draught coming out of the dig floor, getting stronger as the day went on. None of us had noticed it this strong before. It could be a sign.

Mark R. went home early complaining the sharp end diggers weren't filling the buckets up quick enough.

Thanks to Henry R. for meeting us in the Devonshire afterwards to drop off a couple of bags of scaffold clips for the project.

Mark

Mark if you are going to meet on a Wednesday give me a shout. Thursdays are out for the next 7 weeks as I am having swimming lessons..
Will send you my number :-)
Olly.

Offline Mark R

• addict
  • BBPC
« Reply #443 on: February 21, 2017, 12:51:46 pm »
We were going to go this Wednesday but im now working away wednesday afternoon so wont be there.

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #444 on: February 21, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
Hi all. what price are you paying for scaff' clips? only, I can get them for £1 ea. any type here in Matlock. shout if you want to take up offer :thumbsup:
O.G.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #445 on: February 21, 2017, 08:27:44 pm »
Thanks for the offer owd git but we pay £1.00 (cash) for them as well from the main scaffold supplier in Sheffield.

Mark

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #446 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
I now feel obliged to help in another way. :lol:
Ooops!  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:
Ric'.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Offline Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #447 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:50 pm »
Lovely new 11mm ropes down the West route and you don't have to get down on your knees to get to the top of the hauling line.

Shall we see you down there?

Mark

Offline Trogladite

« Reply #448 on: February 22, 2017, 10:02:09 am »
Hi to all the Eldon Hole Diggers, ;D
I have not been on this site for many,many months.  In my old age memory lapses are common & frequent.
Have enjoyed reading about your efforts to reach the "Hidden and elusive River and Lake".
The last time I was down E.H. was in the early 1950's. I now live in South Africa by the Indian Ocean and haven't seen a cave in many years. Eldon Hole has always been a fascination to me and I hope you eventually
break through and continue on down in to the Peak Cavern/ Giants/Speedwell system.
Good luck from an old Derbyshire caver.
Be careful I'm watching you, from Darkest Africa, where Lions walk the streets at night. and some of them carry AK47's, Hi.
Peter
Active in the 1950's
Peak district/Ecton Copper Mines
/Mendips.

Offline ianball11

• forum hero
    • http://www.huddersfieldstudent.com
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2017, 03:38:09 pm »
Wow!  60 years ago, I thought it had been a while since I was up at Eldon, in the early 2000s.