Author Topic: Cave in Brixham - Behind Dolphin Court Apartments on Overgang?  (Read 8002 times)

Online grahams

• junky
Re: Cave in Brixham - Behind Dolphin Court Apartments on Overgang?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 02:25:44 pm »
Just as an aside, as a youth, half a century ago, I remember descending the cliff on the south side of Berry Head and traversing the limestone slabs at half height to a point probably due south of the trig point. I found a rift, floored with calcite crystals, which I explored for a few feet. Does it do anywhere?
Sceptics wanted!

Offline Julian Mann

• regular
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 02:29:27 pm »
Thanks for the update and all your hard work. If anyone can kepp access for cavers it you.

Offline rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • Russian, the best
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »
Just as an aside, as a youth, half a century ago, I remember descending the cliff on the south side of Berry Head and traversing the limestone slabs at half height to a point probably due south of the trig point. I found a rift, floored with calcite crystals, which I explored for a few feet. Does it do anywhere?
NGR needed.  There are numerous caves in this area.  There is even a book on  it!

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 03:18:44 pm »
The best book is Chris Proctor's Atlas of Berry Head Caves publsihed in 1987. I would need a better description to identify your cave but suspect it is Grotty Hole No. I. There are several rift caves in the quarry itself and underwater plus some caves further round towards Durl Head both above and below sea level.

Online grahams

• junky
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:47 pm »
Thanks for your replies. I can't be more accurate regarding the location as it's a loooong time ago but I'll try to find the place on my next visit.
Sceptics wanted!

Offline caverbabe

• player
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:35 pm »
another update - apologies I haven't been able to follow much on the stabilisation works as I've been working abroad the past few months, but my colleagues have updated me today.  The stabilisation works are nearly completed.  We've had positive support from the ecologist as there were roosting bats that have remained undisturbed throughout the works (hooray!).  The entrance has been preserved.  I will be approaching the owners when work is complete to discuss regaining access for sport cavers and finding a way forward for permissions.  They may be a bit nervous given the huge amount of money spent on the stabilisation but I do hope to win them round so we can continue to enjoy this little beauty.  We are hoping works will be completed and the contractor off site in a couple weeks time.  There may still be closures when reinstatement works for the top property commence, but as we are not representing that client, unfortunately I don't have any information on their intended works.

So far so good.  We keep a cave and it is safer than before!  Fingers crossed we still get to go in it!
Om mani padme hum

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:32 pm »
If you do then the access arrangement will be improved as it was always a bit vague! It is a very well preserved cave with some nice formations in it and possible potential for extension.