new to caving

rach_h

Hi my name is Rachel. Me and my boyfriend are really interested in going caving and have no clue where to start. Was wondering if any of you lovely people could advise any day/half day caving in the north east/north west area, with an idea on what we will need to bring/wear, cost, dates, times and places etc. Thank you so much in advance-super excited to get started x

Minion

http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=about:member_clubs

There's a list of member clubs of the British Caving Association. Hopefully you'll be able to spot a club local to you, most clubs have a Facebook page or group. Join that and go to a club meeting, they're generally very welcoming  :)

Get chatting to the members and they will be able to point you in the right direction for your area. If you were closer to South Wales I'd invite you along to our club but it's a bit of a drive from up where you are.

Good luck, happy caving!  :beer:

Edit: Newcastle Uni have a caving club. While I doubt they would accept non-students to become members, they will no doubt be aware of what other caving clubs are active in the area and will probably have contact details for them.

Brains

cap n chris

Hi Rach and welcome to the forum!

By far the easiest way to get a caving experience for you and your boyfriend is to engage the professional services of an instructor:

http://www.caveinstructor.org.uk/instructors

They will provide all the necessary equipment, leadership/guidance, insurances, expertise, knowledge and experience to make a great introductory day out.

If you love it, you can then look to getting your own gear and joining a club you find suits you.

If you want to get underground quick, on your own terms, with the trip dedicated to you and tailored to you, then this is THE more effective and simple way to do it. Obviously it will involve expense though.

ah147

Highly recommend gaping Gill also.

Cavings pretty cheap and if you find the right club they can be very accommodating.

Sometimes it takes a little while to find a good club so don't be disheartened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk